World's First Bendable, Li-Ion Battery to Make Way for Flexible Smartphones
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 21, 2013 4:58 PM EST
A group of scientists from South Korea have successfully found out a way to make bendable lithium ion batteries.
According to a team led by Professor Lee Sang-young of South Korea's Ulsan National Institute of Technology, the bendable battery involves a technique using "imprintable, fluid-like polymer electrolytes" which is different from the normal battery making. This method helps reduce the risks of explosion during the manufacturing of batteries and makes the battery more stable.
The usual process of battery making involves a method of spreading the liquefied electrolytes onto square-shaped cases, reported Korea Joongang Daily
The report quoted South Korea's Ministry of Education, Science and Technology as saying, "Conventional lithium-ion batteries that use liquefied Electrolytes had problems with safety as the film that separates the electrolytes may melt under heat, in which case the positive and negative may come in contact, causing an explosion. Because the new battery uses flexible but solid materials, and not liquids, it can be expected to show a much higher level of stability than conventional rechargeable batteries."
The latest invention of the flexible battery could be a potential stepping stone to the creation of flexible mobile phones. According to the scientists, the flexible battery can be made quickly and easily. The process involves spreading the fluid-like electrolytes on electrodes and exposing them to ultraviolet rays for 30 seconds.
"We hope our paper helps the early commercialization of flexible mobile devices and safer battery use," said Professor Lee Sang-young.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones