Jill Meagher Murder Case Update: Suspect Adrian Ernest Bayley to Contest Charges
By Arlene Paredes | January 21, 2013 4:06 PM EST
The Jill Meagher murder case will be heard at an Australian court on March 12 and 13, during which suspect Adrian Ernest Bayley will contest the charges against him.
Jill, a 29-year-old Irish woman who lived in Melbourne with husband Tom Meagher was reported missing in September last year. Her body was found barely a week after the missing report was filed. She had been raped and strangled.
The Meagher home was only some minutes away from the Bar Etiquette in Brunswick, where Jill was last seen alive with some friends.
Police arrested Bayley, who reportedly gave the needed information to find Jill's body. Investigators believe Bayley is the man seen in the CCTV footage that showed Jill being approached by a man on the street.
The Irish Times reported deputy chief magistrate Felicity Broughton confirmed Bayley's legal team will cross-examine witnesses at the scheduled committal hearing.
A suppression order has been in place since Bayley's arrest last year. Defence lawyer Heather Spowart had requested the court to ban the publishing of potentially damaging information about the suspect. The ban will be in place until the scheduled hearing.
A Facebook group with over one hundred thousand followers was created when Jill Meagher went missing. The same group thanked supporters and sympathizers when it was confirmed Jill had been found dead. Jill moved to Melbourne from Ireland three years ago.
VIDEO: CCTV footage of Brunswick bridal shop shows man approached Jill Meagher
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Video of Slain Syrian Soldiers Raises Doubts; Syrian Gov't Demands Release of Captured Troops
- Family of Accidentally Killed Arizona Shooting Range Instructor Charles Vacca Feels Sorry For 9-Year-Old Uzi Girl
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Major Highlights On 1400 Minor’s Sex Assault
- 7-Year Old Buried Alive By 'Family' Crawls Out From Under The Ground
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine