Jill Meagher Murder Case Update: Suspect Adrian Ernest Bayley to Contest Charges
By Arlene Paredes | January 21, 2013 4:06 PM EST
The Jill Meagher murder case will be heard at an Australian court on March 12 and 13, during which suspect Adrian Ernest Bayley will contest the charges against him.
Jill, a 29-year-old Irish woman who lived in Melbourne with husband Tom Meagher was reported missing in September last year. Her body was found barely a week after the missing report was filed. She had been raped and strangled.
The Meagher home was only some minutes away from the Bar Etiquette in Brunswick, where Jill was last seen alive with some friends.
Police arrested Bayley, who reportedly gave the needed information to find Jill's body. Investigators believe Bayley is the man seen in the CCTV footage that showed Jill being approached by a man on the street.
The Irish Times reported deputy chief magistrate Felicity Broughton confirmed Bayley's legal team will cross-examine witnesses at the scheduled committal hearing.
A suppression order has been in place since Bayley's arrest last year. Defence lawyer Heather Spowart had requested the court to ban the publishing of potentially damaging information about the suspect. The ban will be in place until the scheduled hearing.
A Facebook group with over one hundred thousand followers was created when Jill Meagher went missing. The same group thanked supporters and sympathizers when it was confirmed Jill had been found dead. Jill moved to Melbourne from Ireland three years ago.
VIDEO: CCTV footage of Brunswick bridal shop shows man approached Jill Meagher
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'