Jill Meagher Murder Case Update: Suspect Adrian Ernest Bayley to Contest Charges
By Arlene Paredes | January 21, 2013 4:06 PM EST
The Jill Meagher murder case will be heard at an Australian court on March 12 and 13, during which suspect Adrian Ernest Bayley will contest the charges against him.
Jill, a 29-year-old Irish woman who lived in Melbourne with husband Tom Meagher was reported missing in September last year. Her body was found barely a week after the missing report was filed. She had been raped and strangled.
The Meagher home was only some minutes away from the Bar Etiquette in Brunswick, where Jill was last seen alive with some friends.
Police arrested Bayley, who reportedly gave the needed information to find Jill's body. Investigators believe Bayley is the man seen in the CCTV footage that showed Jill being approached by a man on the street.
The Irish Times reported deputy chief magistrate Felicity Broughton confirmed Bayley's legal team will cross-examine witnesses at the scheduled committal hearing.
A suppression order has been in place since Bayley's arrest last year. Defence lawyer Heather Spowart had requested the court to ban the publishing of potentially damaging information about the suspect. The ban will be in place until the scheduled hearing.
A Facebook group with over one hundred thousand followers was created when Jill Meagher went missing. The same group thanked supporters and sympathizers when it was confirmed Jill had been found dead. Jill moved to Melbourne from Ireland three years ago.
VIDEO: CCTV footage of Brunswick bridal shop shows man approached Jill Meagher
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- Taylor Swift's Famous Ex-Boyfriends: From Harry Styles To Joe Jonas [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- MH370 Search Update: Was Reported That Experts Claim To Know The Possible Location; Suggest Authorities To Look ‘Further South In The Indian Ocean’
- 2014 Lunar Eclipse: Where To Best View Total Lunar Eclipse Peak On October 8
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Available Through O2 For £380, Other Carriers To Follow Soon
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- ISIS Receives Food, Ammunition Due To Mistake Of Iraqi Pilots
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money