American Idol Season 12: Lazaro Arbos Stuns, 'King's Speech' Man Draws 1 Million Views in 3 Days [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | January 21, 2013 10:23 AM EST
American Idol Season 12 premiered to lowest-ever premiere ratings Wednesday (Jan. 16), but Lazaro Arbos could change things for the Fox reality show. Arbos manifests a speech pattern that seems similar to the stammering of King George VI in the 2010 film "King's Speech."
Colin Firth played the king in "King's Speech," which was written by David Seidler, who struggled with the same condition in his youth. Unlike the king, Arbos does not have to address a nation on wars and other political matters. But the young man wants to sing for the world.
Arbos, 21, has yet to receive a proper diagnosis of his condition. He started stuttering when he was six. His mother, Gisela Andraca, appeared in a video clip with her husband to explain Arbos' condition."He went through a lot of therapy but he never improved," Andraca says in Spanish.
Speaking to the judges, Arbos described his speech pattern to be "like a roller coaster." He struggles with the rise and fall of speaking intonations. The words often stop halfway before coming out in a wave. But the situation changes when he sings.
Scroll down to play the video and watch Arbos' American Idol audition. Several YouTube users uploaded the clip, which has collectively drawn over a million views in less than three days.
"We don't know where my stuttering came from. It's just something that goes on and no one really knows why," Arbos told the Idol crew in his pre-audition clip. The judges were moved by his performance of Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water."
"I love your tone. I love the way you sing," Keith Urban told Arbos. "I love that you did that song. It's one of my all time favorite songs. It just elicits so much emotion," he added.
Arbos said nobody wanted to hang out with him when he was a kid, so it was always school and home for the boy.
"Since he's always alone, and has few friends, I think music is his life," said his dad, Reinaldo Arbos. "I think without it, he wouldn't know what to do with his life because he loves his music."
VIDEO: Lazaro Arbos stuns American Idol judges, stammering problem disappears when he sings
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates