McDonald’s Australian Launches iOS Apps That Allows Diners to Check Presence of Meat with Horse DNA on Burgers; Top 10 Horse Meat Memes
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 21, 2013 10:22 AM EST
Due to reports that traces of horse meat were found in hamburgers sold in some of UK and Ireland supermarkets, McDonald's Australia launched a new app that would allow diners to track where the ingredients came from, including if horse meat was used.
The free app is available for iOS users which works even on the actual food bought from Macca's, which is the popular Aussie name for McDonald's. The app was created by DDB Australia.
The app works by scanning the image of a food item bought from McDonald's using the iOS camera. The app, using GPS and the free Wi-Fi in McDonald's outlets and combining it with date and time, accesses the company's supply chain. It then pinpoints the source of the fast food items, not only meat, but also its French fries, veggies, pickles, burger, cheese, fish, bread and mayo.
Ireland's Food Safety Authority (FSAI) said the meat, sold in Dunnes Store, Lidl, Aldi and Iceland, were traced to two processing plants in Ireland, Liffey Meats and Silvercrest Foods, and the Dalepak Hambleton plant in Yorkshire. But none of the two Iceland factories slaughter horses or import horse meat, raising concerns about the source of the item.
Analysis by FSAI of 27 burger products found that 10 had traces of horse DNA and 23 of pig DNA.
However, FSIA assured that this is no human health risk to consuming horse meat and the burgers have been removed from shelves, while Tesco assured it would not happen again.
Meanwhile, the incident has given rise to horse meat memes in social media.
Hardest hit by the memes were Tesco, Britain's leading supermarket chain
And McDonald's as well
which gives burgers a bad name
The horses, of course, are not happy with this development
Now, even Tesco's adverts in sporting events are suspect of being sources of horseplay . . . er . . . horse meat, we mean.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales