Original Batmobile Sells at Auction for £2.6 Million
By Fiona Keating | January 21, 2013 3:06 AM EST
The 19ft black, bubble-topped car was customised by George Barris, who created the caped crusader's getaway in just 15 days in 1966.
Mr Barris told reporters at the auction: "The car had to be a star on its own. And it became one."
Since the show was cancelled in 1968, the car customiser has toured the Batmobile and it was eventually housed in a private showroom in California.
It cost Barris £10,000 to design to his specifications, which included one of the first in-car phones and parachutes which assisted in turning tight corners. He paid only 60p for the original 1955 Lincoln Future concept car.
It's reported that the winning bidder was Rick Champagne, a businessman and car collector from the Phoenix area who has been attending Barrett-Jackson auctions for 15 years.
Asked by The Hollywood Reporter where he planned to store the car, the new owner joked: "In the living room. I'm going to tear down a wall and put it in my living room."
The original Batmobile had never been sold before, and the price paid comes close to the highest ever fetched for a movie car at auction.
That record, unsurprisingly, is held by a James Bond Aston Martin DB5, one of the three DB5s driven by Sean Connery in Goldfinger, which sold for £2.9 million in 2010.
A year later, the Chitty Chitty Bang Bang car auctioned for £507,000, far less than the £630,000 it was expected to reach.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- All-New Mazda2 to Roll Out in Australia This Summer
- Much-Awaited Mazda MX-5 Limited Edition in Australia
- 75 Dead from China Car Parts Plant Blast, Poor Safety Measures Blamed
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border