Vice President Joe Biden Sworn In For Second Term
By IBTimes Staff Writer | January 21, 2013 1:39 AM EST
Vice President Joe Biden’s life, as he would probably admit, has contained more twists and turns than the sea that surrounds his mother’s native Ireland. And if you had asked Biden years ago whether he would ascend to the second-highest elected office in the United States, he probably would have shrugged it off.
But on Sunday at 8:12 a.m. EST, with U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sonya Sotomayor presiding, Biden was sworn-in for his second term as vice president of the United States – just hours before President Barack Obama takes his second oath of office at the White House.
Biden and Obama are being sworn in Sunday because Jan. 20 is the Constiutionally-mandated date for the president to be sworn in. On Monday, Obama will be sworn in again in a public ceremony in front of the U.S. Capitol.
Biden was sworn in amid family and friends at the Naval Observatory in Washington, D.C., following a private Roman Catholic mass held there.
Justice Sonia Sotomayor became the fourth female judge and first Hispanic-American to administer the oath of office to a vice president.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed
- US-led Coalition Has Launched First Airstrike vs. ISIS in Syria – Pentagon
- G20 Summit in Nov: No Consensus to Bar Russia, Putin Open to Attend in Australia
- ISIS Used 'GTA 5' in Teen Recruitment Video, Violent Games Help Gain More Followers
- Chilling: Group Deadlier Than ISIS Had Risen
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4