Single Aussie Moms Hit by Cut in Welfare Allowance Engage in Flesh Trade; 10 Prostitution Memes
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 21, 2013 12:06 AM EST
Reports said that single Australian mothers are turning to the flesh trade to pay their bills due to the recent cut in welfare payments by the Gillard government.
The new policy, which started Jan 1, 2013, affected 84,000 single parents. The bulk of them, mostly women, were moved to the Newstart unemployment allowance when their youngest child becomes eight years old from the previous 16 cut-off, and over 60,000 now get less $60 to $100 per week because of the changes to entitlement. Payments went down to a minimum $265 from $324 weekly.
A Brisbane brothel confirmed the rise in applicants from single mothers due to the welfare amendments. So far, the prostitution house has received 20 applications. A prostitute in that brothel could earn up to $1,000 for eight hours of work by servicing three to five customers.
"They're looking for extra cash to help cope following the cuts and Christmas and back to school," AAP quoted the unidentified spokeswoman.
However, others who could not stomach peddling their flesh, engage in pole dancing in strip joints.
The changes in welfare payments, will save the government $728 million every year. The aim of the amendment was to encourage single parents to go back to employment or get an education, though many in that situation find these two options difficult to pursue, causing some of them to turn to other means of livelihood, including prostitution.
Dubbed the world's oldest profession, prostitution thrives in big cities. In Australia, the flesh trade is governed by state and territory laws which vary by jurisdiction.
Because of risks faced by people in the flesh trade, several groups such as this one are campaigning for the decriminalisation and legalisation of prostitution, which will likely remain as a last recourse for many people desperate to make ends meet.
Meme makers have created memes on the topic, indicating the different perspective that society has on the flesh trade.
Some see it as an easy way to make money
Prostitution is also often linked to pornography
While many detective movies and TV shows depict prostitution as a front for government agents or spies
But some people view politicians as flesh trade participants
While these two memes take a humorous approach to the trade
Lest we forget, there are also males engaged in this trade
And finally, even religion has a say about the trade.
Although who Jesus is alluding to in this meme could be debatable because while Mary Magdalene, the woman who washed Jesus' feet was no doubt a sinner since she had many husbands, whether she was a prostitute is not explicitly stated in scriptures.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Australia's Renewable Energy Industry Braces for Removal of Support
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How