Liverpool Bid for Mexican Goalkeeper - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 20, 2013 10:47 PM EST
Liverpool have submitted a £5m bid to French cub Ajaccio for Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa, according to French newspaper Le 10 Sport. The 27-year-old was part of the Mexico squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, but failed to make an appearance in the tournament after the country's elimination in the Round of 16.
The report adds that Ochoa could move to Anfield for free in the summer, given that his contract with the Ligue 1 club expires in the summer.
The Reds currently have Spanish international Pepe Reina as their No 1 but have been linked with other options, including Reina's compatriot and Barcelona No 1 Victor Valdes. The 31-year-old Spanish World Cup and European Championship winner is in the penultimate year of his contract with the Nou Camp club and has confirmed he will not sign an extension. Liverpool have been linked with a straight swap between Reina and Valdes, following the Daily Mail's announcement of the Catalans' interest in the former Villarreal shot stopper.
Brendan Rodgers' side have also been linked with Birmingham City goalkeeper Jack Butland. The 19-year-old England international is likely to be a better long-term option for the Merseyside club than Valdes but the latter will certainly be a more high-profile and experienced signing.
Rodgers on Suarez and Sturridge
Meanwhile, Rodgers believes the developing partnership between new signing Daniel Sturridge and Uruguay international Luis Suarez will become a potent one.
The 23-year-old England international, who signed from Chelsea earlier this month, scored his third goal in three games in the Reds' 5-0 thumping of Norwich City on Saturday.
Suarez now has 16 Premier League goals this season, only one fewer than the Premier League's top scorer, Robin van Persie of Manchester United.
"They linked very, very well. Luis has done what he's done for us all season. He's 100 percent every game. They are both players who are not just static. Daniel's got pace and power but he's also clever. It gives the opponent someone else to really worry about. Suarez has been incredible for us this season and has had some young players up there with him, but we've now got a recognised goalscorer up beside him," Rodgers said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Matmo Leaves 32k Customers w/o Electricity in Taiwan, Weakens After Landing in China
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales