Liverpool Bid for Mexican Goalkeeper - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 20, 2013 10:47 PM EST
Liverpool have submitted a £5m bid to French cub Ajaccio for Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa, according to French newspaper Le 10 Sport. The 27-year-old was part of the Mexico squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, but failed to make an appearance in the tournament after the country's elimination in the Round of 16.
The report adds that Ochoa could move to Anfield for free in the summer, given that his contract with the Ligue 1 club expires in the summer.
The Reds currently have Spanish international Pepe Reina as their No 1 but have been linked with other options, including Reina's compatriot and Barcelona No 1 Victor Valdes. The 31-year-old Spanish World Cup and European Championship winner is in the penultimate year of his contract with the Nou Camp club and has confirmed he will not sign an extension. Liverpool have been linked with a straight swap between Reina and Valdes, following the Daily Mail's announcement of the Catalans' interest in the former Villarreal shot stopper.
Brendan Rodgers' side have also been linked with Birmingham City goalkeeper Jack Butland. The 19-year-old England international is likely to be a better long-term option for the Merseyside club than Valdes but the latter will certainly be a more high-profile and experienced signing.
Rodgers on Suarez and Sturridge
Meanwhile, Rodgers believes the developing partnership between new signing Daniel Sturridge and Uruguay international Luis Suarez will become a potent one.
The 23-year-old England international, who signed from Chelsea earlier this month, scored his third goal in three games in the Reds' 5-0 thumping of Norwich City on Saturday.
Suarez now has 16 Premier League goals this season, only one fewer than the Premier League's top scorer, Robin van Persie of Manchester United.
"They linked very, very well. Luis has done what he's done for us all season. He's 100 percent every game. They are both players who are not just static. Daniel's got pace and power but he's also clever. It gives the opponent someone else to really worry about. Suarez has been incredible for us this season and has had some young players up there with him, but we've now got a recognised goalscorer up beside him," Rodgers said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William And Kate Middleton Complete NYC Tour Itinerary [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Michael Phelps' Lover Reveals She Was Born Intersex In Lengthy Facebook Post
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Considers Ditching Jessica Sanchez To Sing Philippine National Anthem In Favour Of Born-Again Pastors; Stallone & Schwarzenegger to Watch Bout
- Dallas Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban Wants The Los Angeles Lakers To ‘Suck Forever’
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Avoiding Fight, Always Making Excuses— Manny Pacquiao
- Roger Federer News: Swiss Great Slams Umpire’s Conduct In Wake Of Alleged Row With Stan Wawrinka
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots