Liverpool Bid for Mexican Goalkeeper - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 20, 2013 10:47 PM EST
Liverpool have submitted a £5m bid to French cub Ajaccio for Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa, according to French newspaper Le 10 Sport. The 27-year-old was part of the Mexico squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, but failed to make an appearance in the tournament after the country's elimination in the Round of 16.
The report adds that Ochoa could move to Anfield for free in the summer, given that his contract with the Ligue 1 club expires in the summer.
The Reds currently have Spanish international Pepe Reina as their No 1 but have been linked with other options, including Reina's compatriot and Barcelona No 1 Victor Valdes. The 31-year-old Spanish World Cup and European Championship winner is in the penultimate year of his contract with the Nou Camp club and has confirmed he will not sign an extension. Liverpool have been linked with a straight swap between Reina and Valdes, following the Daily Mail's announcement of the Catalans' interest in the former Villarreal shot stopper.
Brendan Rodgers' side have also been linked with Birmingham City goalkeeper Jack Butland. The 19-year-old England international is likely to be a better long-term option for the Merseyside club than Valdes but the latter will certainly be a more high-profile and experienced signing.
Rodgers on Suarez and Sturridge
Meanwhile, Rodgers believes the developing partnership between new signing Daniel Sturridge and Uruguay international Luis Suarez will become a potent one.
The 23-year-old England international, who signed from Chelsea earlier this month, scored his third goal in three games in the Reds' 5-0 thumping of Norwich City on Saturday.
Suarez now has 16 Premier League goals this season, only one fewer than the Premier League's top scorer, Robin van Persie of Manchester United.
"They linked very, very well. Luis has done what he's done for us all season. He's 100 percent every game. They are both players who are not just static. Daniel's got pace and power but he's also clever. It gives the opponent someone else to really worry about. Suarez has been incredible for us this season and has had some young players up there with him, but we've now got a recognised goalscorer up beside him," Rodgers said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier