Liverpool Bid for Mexican Goalkeeper - Report
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 20, 2013 10:47 PM EST
Liverpool have submitted a £5m bid to French cub Ajaccio for Mexican goalkeeper Guillermo Ochoa, according to French newspaper Le 10 Sport. The 27-year-old was part of the Mexico squad for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa, but failed to make an appearance in the tournament after the country's elimination in the Round of 16.
The report adds that Ochoa could move to Anfield for free in the summer, given that his contract with the Ligue 1 club expires in the summer.
The Reds currently have Spanish international Pepe Reina as their No 1 but have been linked with other options, including Reina's compatriot and Barcelona No 1 Victor Valdes. The 31-year-old Spanish World Cup and European Championship winner is in the penultimate year of his contract with the Nou Camp club and has confirmed he will not sign an extension. Liverpool have been linked with a straight swap between Reina and Valdes, following the Daily Mail's announcement of the Catalans' interest in the former Villarreal shot stopper.
Brendan Rodgers' side have also been linked with Birmingham City goalkeeper Jack Butland. The 19-year-old England international is likely to be a better long-term option for the Merseyside club than Valdes but the latter will certainly be a more high-profile and experienced signing.
Rodgers on Suarez and Sturridge
Meanwhile, Rodgers believes the developing partnership between new signing Daniel Sturridge and Uruguay international Luis Suarez will become a potent one.
The 23-year-old England international, who signed from Chelsea earlier this month, scored his third goal in three games in the Reds' 5-0 thumping of Norwich City on Saturday.
Suarez now has 16 Premier League goals this season, only one fewer than the Premier League's top scorer, Robin van Persie of Manchester United.
"They linked very, very well. Luis has done what he's done for us all season. He's 100 percent every game. They are both players who are not just static. Daniel's got pace and power but he's also clever. It gives the opponent someone else to really worry about. Suarez has been incredible for us this season and has had some young players up there with him, but we've now got a recognised goalscorer up beside him," Rodgers said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast