Men Spend More Time on Phone Than Women
By Tom Porter | January 20, 2013 1:56 AM EST
Gender stereotypes may have to be revised after new research has revealed that men are more likely than women to keep in touch with friends by phone instead of relying on social networking sites like Facebook.
Men are also more likely to spend more time talking to friends and family abroad than women, according to a survey of 2,000 Britons conducted by mobile phone app company FooTalk.
Speaking directly over the phone means that men's conversations are more in-depth than women's, who are more reliant on the brief social media text update.
Women make an average of one call abroad a week, and spend on average 22 minutes talking, while men make two calls, lasting 40 minutes in total.
The study showed that men also send more text messages to friends and family abroad.
Relationships expert and agony aunt Susan Quilliam said: "The classic joke is that it's the girls who are on the phone for hours. But actually now it's guys who are becoming bigger fans of the phone conversation - particularly if they want to be in touch with friends and family who've moved abroad.
"And they're absolutely right to want that, hearing someone's voice is a far richer experience than simply seeing words on screen. You get to not only learn more about what the other person's thinking and feeling, but they get to learn more about you."
The study also showed that whereas women sent on average five text messages to friends abroad every week, men sent eight.
Social media have also allowed more than a third (36 percent) to track down old friends who have moved abroad.
Graeme Hutchinson, co-founder of FooTalk, said: "Facebook and Twitter might keep you abreast of your friends' lives but there's always more to be had from a conversation - even if the other person is in a different country."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS