Men Spend More Time on Phone Than Women
By Tom Porter | January 20, 2013 1:56 AM EST
Gender stereotypes may have to be revised after new research has revealed that men are more likely than women to keep in touch with friends by phone instead of relying on social networking sites like Facebook.
Men are also more likely to spend more time talking to friends and family abroad than women, according to a survey of 2,000 Britons conducted by mobile phone app company FooTalk.
Speaking directly over the phone means that men's conversations are more in-depth than women's, who are more reliant on the brief social media text update.
Women make an average of one call abroad a week, and spend on average 22 minutes talking, while men make two calls, lasting 40 minutes in total.
The study showed that men also send more text messages to friends and family abroad.
Relationships expert and agony aunt Susan Quilliam said: "The classic joke is that it's the girls who are on the phone for hours. But actually now it's guys who are becoming bigger fans of the phone conversation - particularly if they want to be in touch with friends and family who've moved abroad.
"And they're absolutely right to want that, hearing someone's voice is a far richer experience than simply seeing words on screen. You get to not only learn more about what the other person's thinking and feeling, but they get to learn more about you."
The study also showed that whereas women sent on average five text messages to friends abroad every week, men sent eight.
Social media have also allowed more than a third (36 percent) to track down old friends who have moved abroad.
Graeme Hutchinson, co-founder of FooTalk, said: "Facebook and Twitter might keep you abreast of your friends' lives but there's always more to be had from a conversation - even if the other person is in a different country."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- UFO Sightings: Mysterious Bright Lights Spotted Flashing over Toronto, Witnesses Share UFO Sighting Experience on Social Media [VIDEO]
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Travel at Own Risk; Emirates, Qantas Differ on Flying over Iraq Warzone; Emirates Reroutes, Qantas Pushes On
- CCTV Footage Captured Children Being Beaten To Sleep And Physically Abused Inside Nursery
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report