Men Spend More Time on Phone Than Women
By Tom Porter | January 20, 2013 1:56 AM EST
Gender stereotypes may have to be revised after new research has revealed that men are more likely than women to keep in touch with friends by phone instead of relying on social networking sites like Facebook.
Men are also more likely to spend more time talking to friends and family abroad than women, according to a survey of 2,000 Britons conducted by mobile phone app company FooTalk.
Speaking directly over the phone means that men's conversations are more in-depth than women's, who are more reliant on the brief social media text update.
Women make an average of one call abroad a week, and spend on average 22 minutes talking, while men make two calls, lasting 40 minutes in total.
The study showed that men also send more text messages to friends and family abroad.
Relationships expert and agony aunt Susan Quilliam said: "The classic joke is that it's the girls who are on the phone for hours. But actually now it's guys who are becoming bigger fans of the phone conversation - particularly if they want to be in touch with friends and family who've moved abroad.
"And they're absolutely right to want that, hearing someone's voice is a far richer experience than simply seeing words on screen. You get to not only learn more about what the other person's thinking and feeling, but they get to learn more about you."
The study also showed that whereas women sent on average five text messages to friends abroad every week, men sent eight.
Social media have also allowed more than a third (36 percent) to track down old friends who have moved abroad.
Graeme Hutchinson, co-founder of FooTalk, said: "Facebook and Twitter might keep you abreast of your friends' lives but there's always more to be had from a conversation - even if the other person is in a different country."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton And Prince William Have Chosen The Name Of Their Second Child- Details
- Hoax Alert: 'Ebola Vaccine Only Works on White Skin' Viral Story Not True
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Melbourne Wakes Up To Anti-Terror Raids: Seabrook Man Arrested For Funding Terrorist Organisation
- Gunman Killed In Brisbane Shoot-out On Live TV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate