'Game of Thrones' Axe Man Wilko Johnson Announces Farewell Tour
By drishya Nair | January 19, 2013 11:15 PM EST
Wilko Johnson, the influential British rock guitarist who recently played mute executioner Ilyn Pane in the HBO series Game of Thrones, has announced details of his farewell tour, one week after going public with news that he is suffering from terminal cancer.
Johnson first sprang to fame in the early 1970s as the guitarist for Dr Feelgood, an Essex 'pub rock' band whose style and attitude opened the door for punk rock and new wave music. Johnson's aggressive style of guitar playing was picked up and mimicked by bands including The Clash, The Stranglers and The Sex Pistols.
The farewell concerts will take place in March. Johnson has chosen not to undergo chemotherapy for cancer of the pancreas.
His manager, Robert Hoy said: "The four UK dates represent an opportunity for Wilko to express his sincere thanks to his fans for all the support he has had over his long career."
Johnson played with Dr. Feelgood for six years from its formation in 1971, writing all the original songs on their first four albums. The band's live album, Stupidity, reached number one in the UK Albums Chart in 1976.
The YouTube video below (from 56 seconds in) shows the band at their peak, on the BBC's Old Grey Whistle Test in 1975.
After leaving Dr Feelgood, Johnson, 65, played with Ian Dury & The Blockheads before forming the Wilko Johnson Band. He still enjoys a huge cult following.
Despite his illness, the guitarist and songwriter plans to finish a new CD and go on a short tour of France.
"He is not yet suffering any physical effects and can expect to enjoy at least another few months of reasonable health and activity," Hoy said.
"Wilko wishes to offer his sincere thanks for all the support he has had over his long career," he added.
"From those who have worked with him to, above all, those devoted fans and admirers who have attended his live gigs, bought his recordings and generally made his life such an extraordinarily full and eventful experience."
The full tour dates are as follows:
March 6 - London Koko
March 7 - Bilston Robin 2
March 8 - Holmfirth Picturedrome
March 9 - Glasgow O2 ABC
Tickets will go on sale on Monday 21 January. Box office: 0844 478 0898, thegigcartel.com.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt Photographed Fighting Before ‘Unbroken’ Sydney Premiere – Report [VIDEO]
- 'NCIS Los Angeles' Season 6 Recap: Episode 9 'Traitor' Aired On Nov. 24, 2014, The Hunt For The ‘NCIS LA’ Mole Is Over [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season7, Episode 12 Spoilers: Thanksgiving Break, SAMCRO Returns In December [VIDEO]
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft