Precious Metals Mixed, Gold Targets New Resistance Level
By jturbin | January 19, 2013 7:29 AM EST
COMEX gold futures closed slightly lower on Friday, with the February contract settling down by $3.80, or 0.2%, at $1,687.00 per ounce. The yellow metal reached an intra-day high of $1,695.10 this morning, but relinquished its gains amid strength in the U.S. dollar.
In spite of today’s small decline, the most actively-traded gold futures contract finished the week higher by 1.6% – its best performance in nearly two months.
Howard Wen, an analyst with HSBC, attributed the recent rally in gold to “some good physical demand from Asia, particularly China, after better-than-expected GDP data.”
Looking forward, Wen noted that “We expect physical buying to pick up ahead of the Chinese New Year on Feb. 10.” He added that “There is some technical resistance at that $1,700 level, and gold has to break above that to move higher.”
Silver fared better than the yellow metal today, as the COMEX March futures contract finished up by $0.12, or 0.4%, at $31.93 per ounce. In doing so, silver posted a weekly advance of 5.0% – its largest since mid-November as well.
In contrast to the precious metals, shares of most gold and silver stocks continued to disappoint. In afternoon trading, the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) remained lower by 0.3% at 161.06. With today’s dip, the XAU is now on pace for a weekly loss of 1.4%.
Notable decliners on Friday included XAU components Goldcorp (GG), Randgold Resources (GOLD), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). Shares of GG fell by 0.4% to $37.11, GOLD by 0.9% to $92.05, and SSRI by 2.0% to $13.08.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- US California Couple Sells 1,400 Rare Gold Coins Found in Backyard, Now Millionaires
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People