Precious Metals Mixed, Gold Targets New Resistance Level
By jturbin | January 19, 2013 7:29 AM EST
COMEX gold futures closed slightly lower on Friday, with the February contract settling down by $3.80, or 0.2%, at $1,687.00 per ounce. The yellow metal reached an intra-day high of $1,695.10 this morning, but relinquished its gains amid strength in the U.S. dollar.
In spite of today’s small decline, the most actively-traded gold futures contract finished the week higher by 1.6% – its best performance in nearly two months.
Howard Wen, an analyst with HSBC, attributed the recent rally in gold to “some good physical demand from Asia, particularly China, after better-than-expected GDP data.”
Looking forward, Wen noted that “We expect physical buying to pick up ahead of the Chinese New Year on Feb. 10.” He added that “There is some technical resistance at that $1,700 level, and gold has to break above that to move higher.”
Silver fared better than the yellow metal today, as the COMEX March futures contract finished up by $0.12, or 0.4%, at $31.93 per ounce. In doing so, silver posted a weekly advance of 5.0% – its largest since mid-November as well.
In contrast to the precious metals, shares of most gold and silver stocks continued to disappoint. In afternoon trading, the Philadelphia Gold & Silver Index (XAU) remained lower by 0.3% at 161.06. With today’s dip, the XAU is now on pace for a weekly loss of 1.4%.
Notable decliners on Friday included XAU components Goldcorp (GG), Randgold Resources (GOLD), and Silver Standard Resources (SSRI). Shares of GG fell by 0.4% to $37.11, GOLD by 0.9% to $92.05, and SSRI by 2.0% to $13.08.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones