Electronic Cigarettes Adverts Debut on UK TV
By Tom Porter | January 19, 2013 6:11 AM EST
Electronic cigarettes will be advertised on British television for the first time, despite a recent judgment that claims they are harmless misled consumers.
British electronic cigarette company "e-lites" will be launching its first European TV ad campaign on channels including Channel 5 and ITV after the ban on on-screen tobacco advertising which has been in force since August 1965.
However, the Advertising Standards Agency recently upheld a complaint against e-cigarette company Nicolites for declaring the devices harmless on its website.
The authority concluded: "We considered claims such as 'it's simply a completely harmless vapour' and 'poses no health hazard' [suggested] that the product would pose no risks to health at all.
"The claims that the product was not harmful had not been substantiated and we therefore concluded that the ad was misleading."
The 1965 ban does not prevent the promotion of nicotine, allowing for the advertising of devices like nicotine patches.
As the nicotine-heavy e-cigarettes do not contain tar they are marketed as a healthier alternative to smoking rather than as a means of quitting.
The ad features Waterloo Road star Mark Benton missing his child's first steps after going outside for a cigarette and ends with the strapline 'you don't know what your missing.
The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Authority is looking into whether e-cigarettes should be regulated and will report its findings in the spring.
The Advertising Standards Agency concedes that the ads could prove controversial adding: "The advertising of e-cigarettes on TV is likely to be severely restricted". Claims used to promote them were "incredibly limited".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Monday Night Football Recap: Chicago Bears 27, New York Jets 19
- Kate Middleton, Kelly Brook Have 'Most Perfect Breasts' While Kim Kardashian, Rihanna Have 'Least Desirable' Breasts, New Survey Finds [SEE PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
Join the Conversation
- 'Green Alien Eggs' Spotted on Sydney's Dee Why Beach
- Robin Williams Confessed To Loving Billy Connolly Like A Brother In A Final Goodbye Call
- The Pirate Bay Founder Peter Sunde Attends Father’s Funeral Without Handcuffs, Brother Thanks TPB Founder’s Supporters on Facebook
- High School Student Stabbed To Death In Toronto
- Woman With Three Breasts Is Reportedly A Fake: Jasmine Tridevil’s Real Identity Revealed
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Better Performing Display and Best Overall Screen
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Galaxy Note 4 vs iPhone 6: Performance, Sales, iOS 8 and Android 5.0 L