Electronic Cigarettes Adverts Debut on UK TV
By Tom Porter | January 19, 2013 6:11 AM EST
Electronic cigarettes will be advertised on British television for the first time, despite a recent judgment that claims they are harmless misled consumers.
British electronic cigarette company "e-lites" will be launching its first European TV ad campaign on channels including Channel 5 and ITV after the ban on on-screen tobacco advertising which has been in force since August 1965.
However, the Advertising Standards Agency recently upheld a complaint against e-cigarette company Nicolites for declaring the devices harmless on its website.
The authority concluded: "We considered claims such as 'it's simply a completely harmless vapour' and 'poses no health hazard' [suggested] that the product would pose no risks to health at all.
"The claims that the product was not harmful had not been substantiated and we therefore concluded that the ad was misleading."
The 1965 ban does not prevent the promotion of nicotine, allowing for the advertising of devices like nicotine patches.
As the nicotine-heavy e-cigarettes do not contain tar they are marketed as a healthier alternative to smoking rather than as a means of quitting.
The ad features Waterloo Road star Mark Benton missing his child's first steps after going outside for a cigarette and ends with the strapline 'you don't know what your missing.
The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Authority is looking into whether e-cigarettes should be regulated and will report its findings in the spring.
The Advertising Standards Agency concedes that the ads could prove controversial adding: "The advertising of e-cigarettes on TV is likely to be severely restricted". Claims used to promote them were "incredibly limited".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- MH370 Search Update: Was Reported That Experts Claim To Know The Possible Location; Suggest Authorities To Look ‘Further South In The Indian Ocean’
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 5 Things You Should Know About House Training Your Pets
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- 3 Signs Nexus 6, 8 Release Date Nears: Leaked Pics, KitKat Factory Image & Android L Details Emerge
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money