Electronic Cigarettes Adverts Debut on UK TV
By Tom Porter | January 19, 2013 6:11 AM EST
Electronic cigarettes will be advertised on British television for the first time, despite a recent judgment that claims they are harmless misled consumers.
British electronic cigarette company "e-lites" will be launching its first European TV ad campaign on channels including Channel 5 and ITV after the ban on on-screen tobacco advertising which has been in force since August 1965.
However, the Advertising Standards Agency recently upheld a complaint against e-cigarette company Nicolites for declaring the devices harmless on its website.
The authority concluded: "We considered claims such as 'it's simply a completely harmless vapour' and 'poses no health hazard' [suggested] that the product would pose no risks to health at all.
"The claims that the product was not harmful had not been substantiated and we therefore concluded that the ad was misleading."
The 1965 ban does not prevent the promotion of nicotine, allowing for the advertising of devices like nicotine patches.
As the nicotine-heavy e-cigarettes do not contain tar they are marketed as a healthier alternative to smoking rather than as a means of quitting.
The ad features Waterloo Road star Mark Benton missing his child's first steps after going outside for a cigarette and ends with the strapline 'you don't know what your missing.
The Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Authority is looking into whether e-cigarettes should be regulated and will report its findings in the spring.
The Advertising Standards Agency concedes that the ads could prove controversial adding: "The advertising of e-cigarettes on TV is likely to be severely restricted". Claims used to promote them were "incredibly limited".
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery
- 8 Important Things to Consider Before Buying or Upgrading to iPad Air 2
- Canada’s Official ISIS Mission Starts On Weekend; Kuwait Uneasy