Arsenal Transfer News: Cavani, Zuniga, Gourcuff And Walcott Involved In Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | January 19, 2013 3:05 AM EST
While Theo Walcott has finally signed a new contract at Arsenal, attention is already turning to the players that Arsene Wenger can add to his squad in this month’s transfer window.
It is widely believed that Arsenal need and would like to recruit a new striker. Wenger sparked speculation on Thursday that he was interested in prolific Napoli front man Edinson Cavani, however, more comments that have come to light appear to rule out a move.
“Napoli are playing for the championship and the Champions League in Italy,” Wenger explained, according to the Daily Mirror. “So what is the interest of Napoli to sell Cavani? None. Unless you say, ‘Okay, we pay twice the price of what the player is worth.’
"He is also cup-tied for the Champions League on top of that - all the players who can strengthen us are cup-tied in the Champions League.
"We can spend the money that we have decided to spend, if it is for a player we think gives us a plus. I do not want to speak about Cavani because we have not made an enquiry for him.”
Certainly Cavani is unlikely to leave in January, as the recent comments of Napoli president Aurelio De Laurentiis demonstrate.
“I need Cavani, not the money,” he said, according to Metro.
However, Wenger’s comments are a little surprising. It is widely known that the Uruguayan has a buyout clause of €63 million (£52.5m) in his contract and with Napoli having rejected an offer of €55 million (£45.9m)in the summer, any buying club can perhaps expect to have to pay up the clause regardless of when they make their move, unless Cavani demands a transfer.
There is also the fact that Cavani is not cup-tied for the Champions League, as Wenger asserted, having just played in the Europa League group phase this season.
As the chances of a bumper deal for Cavani fade away, Arsenal have been linked with another Napoli player in Juan Zuniga. The Daily Express reports that the Gunners are monitoring the Colombian who has primarily been deployed as a wingback for the Serie A outfit.
The 27-year-old’s agent said that the player has received interest from a number of clubs.
“Arsenal interested? We know very well that English and Spanish teams at the highest level are interested and are looking at Zuniga,” said Riccardo Calleri, according to the Express.
“But I think it is normal, as is the case with Cavani, it also happens to my client.
“The Colombian is attractive to many teams because he is versatile, can play more advanced, more defensive and could be of great use to a lot of clubs.”
It doesn't appear that Arsenal are seriously interested in Lyon attacking midfielder Yoann Gourcuff. Earlier this week it had been claimed that the Gunners had been offered a cut-price deal for the 26-year-old.
“Arsenal and Gourcuff? I don't know about any offers, Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas told beIN Sport.
"I have never spoken with Arsenal."
As for Walcott, no details of his new contract have been made public by Arsenal, although it has been widely reported that the deal will keep him at the club until the summer of 2016 and be worth a staggering £100,000 a week.
Walcott said he was delighted to finally put pen to paper.
“I am very happy to have signed a new contract here at Arsenal,” he said, according to Arsenal’s official website. “Thanks to everyone for their continued support, especially the manager, everyone at the club and most importantly the fans.
“I have made it clear from the start that I wanted to stay at Arsenal so I am pleased we have agreed a deal that everyone is happy with. What’s important now is for the team to realize its potential and win trophies.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected