Instagram Continues 'Very Strong Growth' Despite Terms & Conditions Controversy
By Alistair Charlton | January 18, 2013 11:32 PM EST
For the first time in its two year history, Instagram has published its active user statistics, revealing it has 90 million monthly active users posting 40 million photos per day.
The figures come just days after reports stated the photo-sharing service had lost half of its users, after planned changes to its terms and conditions caused controversy and user revolt in December.
Instagram's figures state the service handles 8,500 photo likes per second, and 1,000 comments per second, although likes can climb to as high as 10,000 per second in peak times, according to an engineering post, also published this week.
As an example of how quickly the service is growing, Instagram claimed a year ago that it "stored a lot of data" at 90 likes per second.
Instagram co-founder Kevin Systrom told technology news site AllThingsD that the service "continues to see very strong growth around the world. We've been excited to see these efforts resonate with users globally."
The figures have no doubt been released to calm fears that the proposed T&C changes - which suggested the site could sell users' photos for use in advertising, but were soon dropped - had caused users to leave en masse.
Statistics from AppData claimed that usage had dropped by as much as 50 percent, but the numbers, gathered through a combination of outside monitoring and Facebook connection data, are not now believed to be accurate.
The AppData figures suggested a massive drop off in users over the Christmas period, soon after the T&C changes were proposed, but the data also shows similar declines in other apps connected to Facebook, as users logged off over the festive period.
Back in September, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced that Instagram had just passed the 100 million users milestone, although this could have been the total number of user accounts, rather than users logging in each month.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists