Tottenham Face Fight From CL Adversary For Moroccan Winger - Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 18, 2013 10:39 PM EST
Tottenham and Everton are set to make a bid for Montpellier star Younes Belhanda, according to reports in France, with the winger looking likely to make a move to the Premier League before January deadline day comes to a close.
Belhanda has scored eight times so far this season for the Ligue 1 outfit, and was close at one point in the month to joining Turkish side Fenerbahce.
"We have put our efforts to sign Younes Belhanda on hold, the asking price for Belhanda has risen to an astronomical level," he told Turkish Football.
"We met with Belhanda however, the current price being quoted is too high. We are in talks with a few other players however, will not be revealing any names.
"As soon as we tell the media who we are negotiating with the players price increases. We will have completed our transfers within the next week."
Tottenham were believed to be in dicussions with the 22 year old last week, and now L'Equipe is reporting that Everton are also showing serious interest in Belhanda, seeing him as a possible replacement for Marouane Fellaini if the winger does indeed leave Goodison Park.
The fee demanded by Montpellier is reportedly around £10 million, which would be a very affordable price for both Tottenham and the Toffees, who would profit around £22 million if they did let go of Fellaini.
Both clubs are currently in contention for a Champions League spot; while Tottenham are fourth in the table, Everton are only three points behind and have been the surprise success of the season.
And with that in mind, Belhanda would bring improvement to the attacking line-up of either club, and with just two weeks left to go in the January window, both will be getting ready for the often manic last week.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Transfer News: Ron Vlaar to Consider Villa Exit, May Move to Tottenham
- AS Roma's Seydou Keita Throws Water Bottle at Real Madrid defender Pepe for Spitting [VIDEO]
- The Mentalist Season 7 Spoilers: CBS Skips Simon Baker's Patrick Jane in Fall Schedule, Josie Loren Joins Cast
- Game of Thrones Season 5 Update: Maisie Williams Talks Arya Stark, Lady Stoneheart, and Surprises
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell