Tottenham Face Fight From CL Adversary For Moroccan Winger - Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 18, 2013 10:39 PM EST
Tottenham and Everton are set to make a bid for Montpellier star Younes Belhanda, according to reports in France, with the winger looking likely to make a move to the Premier League before January deadline day comes to a close.
Belhanda has scored eight times so far this season for the Ligue 1 outfit, and was close at one point in the month to joining Turkish side Fenerbahce.
"We have put our efforts to sign Younes Belhanda on hold, the asking price for Belhanda has risen to an astronomical level," he told Turkish Football.
"We met with Belhanda however, the current price being quoted is too high. We are in talks with a few other players however, will not be revealing any names.
"As soon as we tell the media who we are negotiating with the players price increases. We will have completed our transfers within the next week."
Tottenham were believed to be in dicussions with the 22 year old last week, and now L'Equipe is reporting that Everton are also showing serious interest in Belhanda, seeing him as a possible replacement for Marouane Fellaini if the winger does indeed leave Goodison Park.
The fee demanded by Montpellier is reportedly around £10 million, which would be a very affordable price for both Tottenham and the Toffees, who would profit around £22 million if they did let go of Fellaini.
Both clubs are currently in contention for a Champions League spot; while Tottenham are fourth in the table, Everton are only three points behind and have been the surprise success of the season.
And with that in mind, Belhanda would bring improvement to the attacking line-up of either club, and with just two weeks left to go in the January window, both will be getting ready for the often manic last week.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Final: USA Vs. Serbia Live Streaming Info, Key Players And Preview
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manchester United News: Man Utd. vs QPR Preview
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Reports Indicate Mayweather Has 2 Girlfriends: Bad Medina & Liza Hernandez
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date