Tottenham Face Fight From CL Adversary For Moroccan Winger - Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 18, 2013 10:39 PM EST
Tottenham and Everton are set to make a bid for Montpellier star Younes Belhanda, according to reports in France, with the winger looking likely to make a move to the Premier League before January deadline day comes to a close.
Belhanda has scored eight times so far this season for the Ligue 1 outfit, and was close at one point in the month to joining Turkish side Fenerbahce.
"We have put our efforts to sign Younes Belhanda on hold, the asking price for Belhanda has risen to an astronomical level," he told Turkish Football.
"We met with Belhanda however, the current price being quoted is too high. We are in talks with a few other players however, will not be revealing any names.
"As soon as we tell the media who we are negotiating with the players price increases. We will have completed our transfers within the next week."
Tottenham were believed to be in dicussions with the 22 year old last week, and now L'Equipe is reporting that Everton are also showing serious interest in Belhanda, seeing him as a possible replacement for Marouane Fellaini if the winger does indeed leave Goodison Park.
The fee demanded by Montpellier is reportedly around £10 million, which would be a very affordable price for both Tottenham and the Toffees, who would profit around £22 million if they did let go of Fellaini.
Both clubs are currently in contention for a Champions League spot; while Tottenham are fourth in the table, Everton are only three points behind and have been the surprise success of the season.
And with that in mind, Belhanda would bring improvement to the attacking line-up of either club, and with just two weeks left to go in the January window, both will be getting ready for the often manic last week.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier