Diesel Price Hike Invites Opposition; Petrol Price Cut by 25 Paise Per Litre
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 18, 2013 9:52 PM EST
Oil companies have hiked diesel prices by 45 paise per litre starting Friday while cutting petrol price by 25 paise per litre. The move to hike oil price has invited opposition from various quarters including UPA allies DMK and BSP.
The announcement came after the central government allowed state-owned oil companies to revise the price of diesel besides increasing the number of subsidised LPG cylinders per family to nine from the current cap of six.
It is reported that oil marketing companies would hike diesel price by 50 paise every month, which would amount to about ₹6 per year. The current diesel price, which is ₹47.15 per litre, would touch ₹53.15 by the end of the year if OMCs hike oil price as reported.
Diesel accounts for 59 per cent of the estimated ₹160,000 crore fuel subsidy bill in 2012-13, so the decision to hike the price would cut the subsidy bill by ₹12,900 crore.
The Indian government on Thursday hiked the number of subsidised LPG cylinders per family to nine from the current cap of six and allowed state-owned oil companies to revise the price of diesel.
Diesel remains highly subsidized while petrol prices were deregulated in 2010.
However, experts are of the opinion that price hike in oil products like diesel could cause inflation.
"It's kind of ambiguous. But if they're able to push through the increases over a course of six to seven months, it will improve the prospects for next year's fiscal deficit. However, it will be inflationary. This kind of signals there will be regular increases. It will push up inflation expectations, and will lead to second round effects," A. Prasanna, Economist, ICICI Securities, Primary Dealership Ltd, Mumbai, told Reuters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Celebrities Who Were Victims of Rape: Psychological and Physical Effects of Rape
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kanye West, Ben Affleck, Serena Williams Are Victims Of Migraines: Ways To Tackle It
- Men’s Tennis’ Grand Slam Winners Of 2014 – Wawrinka, Nadal, Djokovic, and Cilic
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- Afghan Pizza Man Shot Dead in Canada
- At What Age Do Boys And Girls Look Best To Each Other?
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Man Prosecuted For Sexting Messages To 9 Women
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Google Android Lion vs Apple iOS 8: Why Make the Big Switch
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. OnePlus One – Can The Underdog Trump The Monster?
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date