Diesel Price Hike Invites Opposition; Petrol Price Cut by 25 Paise Per Litre
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 18, 2013 9:52 PM EST
Oil companies have hiked diesel prices by 45 paise per litre starting Friday while cutting petrol price by 25 paise per litre. The move to hike oil price has invited opposition from various quarters including UPA allies DMK and BSP.
The announcement came after the central government allowed state-owned oil companies to revise the price of diesel besides increasing the number of subsidised LPG cylinders per family to nine from the current cap of six.
It is reported that oil marketing companies would hike diesel price by 50 paise every month, which would amount to about ₹6 per year. The current diesel price, which is ₹47.15 per litre, would touch ₹53.15 by the end of the year if OMCs hike oil price as reported.
Diesel accounts for 59 per cent of the estimated ₹160,000 crore fuel subsidy bill in 2012-13, so the decision to hike the price would cut the subsidy bill by ₹12,900 crore.
The Indian government on Thursday hiked the number of subsidised LPG cylinders per family to nine from the current cap of six and allowed state-owned oil companies to revise the price of diesel.
Diesel remains highly subsidized while petrol prices were deregulated in 2010.
However, experts are of the opinion that price hike in oil products like diesel could cause inflation.
"It's kind of ambiguous. But if they're able to push through the increases over a course of six to seven months, it will improve the prospects for next year's fiscal deficit. However, it will be inflationary. This kind of signals there will be regular increases. It will push up inflation expectations, and will lead to second round effects," A. Prasanna, Economist, ICICI Securities, Primary Dealership Ltd, Mumbai, told Reuters.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS