Toyota Australia Ready to Ship Car Engines to Thailand, Malaysia
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 18, 2013 6:45 PM EST
"The fact that we were able to secure new export markets in Thailand and Malaysia is testament to the quality of our work and the positive reputation Toyota Australia has amongst our affiliates," Chris Harrod, executive director of manufacturing and purchasing of Toyota Australia, said.
The company expects to ship to the two countries 18,000 four-cylinder engines this year, at the same time manufacture 90,000 for use in its locally-made Camry and Camry Hybrid.
"We are now one of only four countries producing this particular engine, and is the only Australian manufacturer to produce both petrol and hybrid engines," Mr Harrod added.
Toyota's multimillion-dollar hybrid factory engine plant in Melbourne's west opened on December 2012. It is the first of its kind built outside of Japan, making Australia one of only four countries able to manufacture the AR-series four-cylinder engines.
Part of the funds for its construction, which was built to replace the old one which was more than 30 years old, came from the Australian federal government, at $63 million, from the Green Car Innovation fund.
Production guidance at the plant is made up of 85 per cent for standard petrol engines, while the remaining 15 per cent will be for hybrid units.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans