Toyota Australia Ready to Ship Car Engines to Thailand, Malaysia
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 18, 2013 6:45 PM EST
"The fact that we were able to secure new export markets in Thailand and Malaysia is testament to the quality of our work and the positive reputation Toyota Australia has amongst our affiliates," Chris Harrod, executive director of manufacturing and purchasing of Toyota Australia, said.
The company expects to ship to the two countries 18,000 four-cylinder engines this year, at the same time manufacture 90,000 for use in its locally-made Camry and Camry Hybrid.
"We are now one of only four countries producing this particular engine, and is the only Australian manufacturer to produce both petrol and hybrid engines," Mr Harrod added.
Toyota's multimillion-dollar hybrid factory engine plant in Melbourne's west opened on December 2012. It is the first of its kind built outside of Japan, making Australia one of only four countries able to manufacture the AR-series four-cylinder engines.
Part of the funds for its construction, which was built to replace the old one which was more than 30 years old, came from the Australian federal government, at $63 million, from the Green Car Innovation fund.
Production guidance at the plant is made up of 85 per cent for standard petrol engines, while the remaining 15 per cent will be for hybrid units.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: ‘Out of control… and Can Get Worse'; Asky Airline Stops Flying to Liberia, Sierra Leone; Liberia Closes Schools
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- China Crackdown Against Christianity: Removes Church Cross, Cites Building Code Violation
- 2014 Ebola Outbreak: US CDC Issues Travel Advisory; Virus 'Dreadful and Merciless'
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8