Toyota Australia Ready to Ship Car Engines to Thailand, Malaysia
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 18, 2013 6:45 PM EST
"The fact that we were able to secure new export markets in Thailand and Malaysia is testament to the quality of our work and the positive reputation Toyota Australia has amongst our affiliates," Chris Harrod, executive director of manufacturing and purchasing of Toyota Australia, said.
The company expects to ship to the two countries 18,000 four-cylinder engines this year, at the same time manufacture 90,000 for use in its locally-made Camry and Camry Hybrid.
"We are now one of only four countries producing this particular engine, and is the only Australian manufacturer to produce both petrol and hybrid engines," Mr Harrod added.
Toyota's multimillion-dollar hybrid factory engine plant in Melbourne's west opened on December 2012. It is the first of its kind built outside of Japan, making Australia one of only four countries able to manufacture the AR-series four-cylinder engines.
Part of the funds for its construction, which was built to replace the old one which was more than 30 years old, came from the Australian federal government, at $63 million, from the Green Car Innovation fund.
Production guidance at the plant is made up of 85 per cent for standard petrol engines, while the remaining 15 per cent will be for hybrid units.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’