PwC India Probed in Inquiry on Possible Tax Evasion by Nokia
January 18, 2013 5:22 PM EST
The Indian affiliate of global accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopersPWC.UL was questioned on Thursday by tax authorities looking into possible tax evasion by Finnish phone maker Nokia(NOK1V.HE), a spokesman for PwC confirmed.
Tax officials last week raided Nokia's production unit in Chennai, one of the company's biggest facilities.
A senior Indian tax official said the investigation related to allegations that Nokia may have evaded around 30 billion rupees in taxes. Nokia has said it was cooperating with the probe.
PwC's arm in India both audits and provides tax advice to Nokia, said Mike Davies, a spokesman for PricewaterhouseCoopers International Ltd. Auditor independence standards in India allow firms to both audit and provide tax advice to the same client, he added.
PwC's Indian affiliate has said they are fully cooperating with tax authorities on the matter.
Newspapers in India reported last week that PwC would be called in for questioning on the Nokia tax case.
British telecommunications carrier Vodafone Group Plc (VOD.L) is also being pressed for payment of $2 billion in disputed taxes in India on its 2007 acquisition of mobile telecom assets.
Tax disputes are becoming more common as governments around the world faced with large deficits crack down on tax avoidance in search of new revenues.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown