PwC India Probed in Inquiry on Possible Tax Evasion by Nokia
January 18, 2013 5:22 PM EST
The Indian affiliate of global accounting firm PricewaterhouseCoopersPWC.UL was questioned on Thursday by tax authorities looking into possible tax evasion by Finnish phone maker Nokia(NOK1V.HE), a spokesman for PwC confirmed.
Tax officials last week raided Nokia's production unit in Chennai, one of the company's biggest facilities.
A senior Indian tax official said the investigation related to allegations that Nokia may have evaded around 30 billion rupees in taxes. Nokia has said it was cooperating with the probe.
PwC's arm in India both audits and provides tax advice to Nokia, said Mike Davies, a spokesman for PricewaterhouseCoopers International Ltd. Auditor independence standards in India allow firms to both audit and provide tax advice to the same client, he added.
PwC's Indian affiliate has said they are fully cooperating with tax authorities on the matter.
Newspapers in India reported last week that PwC would be called in for questioning on the Nokia tax case.
British telecommunications carrier Vodafone Group Plc (VOD.L) is also being pressed for payment of $2 billion in disputed taxes in India on its 2007 acquisition of mobile telecom assets.
Tax disputes are becoming more common as governments around the world faced with large deficits crack down on tax avoidance in search of new revenues.
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tesco Facing Crisis After Chairman Quits Citing Accounting Scandal In The Retail Giant
- Australian Federal Court Fines Reebok $350,000 & Orders Refunds For Shoe Endorsed By Miranda Kerr That Claims Unproven Health Benefits
- Sydney Software Firm Bigcommerce Teams Up With Alibaba To Beat Amazon
- Perth Call Centre Staff Bad In English And Not Philippine And Indian Counterparts, Telstra Boss Says
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports