Training Guide for Intermediates
January 18, 2013 5:21 PM EST
Cardio & strength training workouts are indispensable to an effective training program and general good health. By definition, cardio workouts can be any exercise-jogging, running, biking, swimming, elliptical machine, stairs, even jumping rope-that raises and maintains your heart rate over a predetermined amount of time. Strength training on the other hand helps in building & maintaining muscle mass, it can be composed of working with dumbbells, barbells, resistance band or machines.
The weights training is more advanced compared to beginners and should be performed on a two day split (upper body one day, lower the next) abs should be done on a day off. The cardio program should be performed the same as before but with an extra ten minutes per session.
A few guidelines for intermediate trainers:
· Moderate frequency. Each muscle group/movement pattern should typically be trained to some degree between once every 3rd and 5th day.
· Moderate volume. Most larger muscle groups should usually get between 30-60 reps per week total, and most smaller muscle groups should usually get about half that.
· A potential mix of free weight, body weight and machine exercises as well as a potential mix of compound and isolation exercises.
· A potential use of more advanced methods and techniques.
· A higher variety of rep ranges. A focus on progression.
· Bench Press 12 reps two sets,
· Incline Dumbbell Curls 10 reps two sets,
· Overhead Press 10 reps two sets,
· Bent over Rows 10 reps two sets,
· Tricep Extensions 15 reps two sets.
To be performed once per week)
· Sit-ups 50 reps one set,
· Side crunches 50 reps one set.
(To be performed once per week)
LOWER BODY (intermediate)
· Leg extensions 15 reps two sets,
· Calf raises 15 reps two sets,
· Squats 15 reps two sets.
(to be performed once per week)
· Jogging 40 mins,
· Bike 40 mins,
· Rowing 40 mins,
(Choose one each training session)
Coupled with low fat diet, you can go on achieving results. Besides when it comes to reaping the benefits of cardio, there are some key aspects to consider. These are: Frequency, Duration and Intensity.
In general, cardio should be performed 3-5 times per week without more than 48 hours of rest passing between sessions. Any longer than 48 hours and your body starts to lose the positive effects of the previous session(s).
30-40 minutes per session is sufficient for intermediate cardio fitness levels. For beginners, 1-2 small sessions of 10-12 minutes (not including warm-up/cool-down periods) should be performed for the first few weeks, then gradually up the duration per session each week thereafter as your body progresses.
Using an appropriate intensity level is key to obtaining significant results from any type of cardio activity. Beginners should work at a pace below 55% of their maximum heart rate for a few weeks to build a strong tolerance to the cardio activity before raising the intensity level. While intermediate individuals should work at a pace of 55-65% of their maximum heart rate.
Note: Always include a warm-up and cool down, consisting of a brisk walk or slow jog, at the beginning and the end of each workout. When modifying the program, remember to stick with the recommendations for number of sets, repetitions and exercises for your level.
Article provided by Women Fitness http://www.womenfitness.net
Join the Conversation
- Kendall Jenner's Secret To A Slim and Sexy Body: All About Her Diet And Fitness Routine [Watch Video]
- Study Reveals An Increase In Men Going In For "Moob" Surgery, For Almond Like Nipples Like David Beckham
- Sleep Deprivation Among Teens Is The Main Cause of Low Academic Performance, Bad Behaviour And Lethargy, Finds Study
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Pilgrimage To Mecca: The Latest Health and Travel Advice For Muslim Hajj And Umrah With Regard To MERS-CoV
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate