Twins Sibling Rivalry Starts as Early Inside the Womb! [VIDEO]
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 18, 2013 1:23 PM EST
When most, if not all, parents thought that sibling rivalry occurs only at stages when their children, most specially twins, get to understand the concept, a video research conducted by London doctors on twins showed the fight for supremacy starts as early inside the womb.
Striking images from a high-tech monitor called "cinematic MRI" exhibited to doctors at the Robert Steiner MR Unit of London’s Imperial College that the battle inside mummy’s womb does already occur, mostly vying for space and perhaps comfortable positioning.
The discovery of a set of twins’ behaviour inside the room was actually accidental. Doctors conducted the scanning method more to study how the fetuses are affected by twin-to-twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS), a potentially life-threatening condition, in which one identical twin draws off blood away from the other.
According to the Twin To Twin Transfusion Syndrome Foundation, TTTS is defined as the condition where the donor twin is deprived of nutrients and then puts too much pressure on the heart of receiving twin. There is no specific time frame as to when TTTS may happen as it can occur as early into the pregnancy or at a much later date.
Moreover, while an ultrasound, regardless if done regularly, may be able to detect TTTS, it does not show its full impact on the twins inside the womb.
But then again, that’s already about studying the science of TTTS.
Capturing the twins’ battle inside mummy’s bulge is something really cute to look at. Perhaps parents would even request a copy of that precious moment to show the twins later on. Let’s just hope the sibling rivalry doesn’t get haywire once they are out born out into the world and into their more mature years.
A list of some of the more famous twins:
1) Jacob and Esau – what could have been the world’s first twins, children of biblical characters Issac and Rebekah
2) The Kray Brothers – individually known as Ronnie and Reginald, the Kray Brothers were known as the perpetrators of organized crime during the 1950s-1960s in the East End in London
3) Romulus and Remus – founders of the Great City of Rome, in ancient Roman mythology, children born to Vestal Virgin Rhea Silvia and Mars, the god of war
4) Apollo and Artemis – son and daughter born to Leto and Zeus; Artemis is god of music, god of healing, god of light and god of truth; Artemis is goddess of chastity, virginity, the hunt, the moon, and the natural environment, also huntsman of the gods and protector of the young
5) Ronde and Tiki Barber – professional football players
6) Chang and Eng Bunker – first widely known pair of Siamese twins
7) Joel and Benji Madden – identical twin rockers who formed Good Charlotte Band in 1996 in suburban Maryland; best known for their hit singles “Lifestyles of the Rich and the Famous” and “Little Things”
8) Henrik and Joel Lundqvist – identical Swedish twins to play in the NHL
9) Tegan and Sara Quin – of the Canadian indie rock band Tegan and Sara
10) Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss – Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg’s famous arch enemies
11) Jenna and Barbara Bush – former “First Twins” who has ever lived in the White House
12) Robin and Maurice Gibb – of the family musical group The Bee Gees in 1989
13) Ann Landers and Abigail Van Buren – twin sisters & popular advice columnists; Ann was known in her columns as Esther Eppie Lederer, while Abigail was Dear Abby
14) Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen – one of the more prominently known twins today; also touted to be the youngest twins to become famous, when both became actresses at the age of six months
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail: