Gold Nears $1,700 on Mixed Economic Reports
By Eric McWhinnie | January 18, 2013 7:09 AM EST
On Thursday, gold ( for February delivery, the most active contract, increased $7.60 to settle at $1,690.80 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March rose 27 cents to close at $31.81.
Both precious metals climbed higher in the face of conflicting economic reports. Jobless claims fell 37,000 to a seasonally adjusted 335,000 last week, according to the Labor Department. It was the lowest level for unemployment benefit applications in five years.
However, the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia’s manufacturing index plunged to a negative 5.8 in January, compared to 4.6 in December. The median forecast of 58 economists surveyed by Bloomberg was 5.6, leading to the biggest miss in seven months.
In afternoon , the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased 0.70 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained 1.20 percent. However, gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) edged slightly lower. Silver names such as First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) increased 1.20 percent and 0.30 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Germany Takes Back Its Gold
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans