Gold Nears $1,700 on Mixed Economic Reports
By Eric McWhinnie | January 18, 2013 7:09 AM EST
On Thursday, gold ( for February delivery, the most active contract, increased $7.60 to settle at $1,690.80 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March rose 27 cents to close at $31.81.
Both precious metals climbed higher in the face of conflicting economic reports. Jobless claims fell 37,000 to a seasonally adjusted 335,000 last week, according to the Labor Department. It was the lowest level for unemployment benefit applications in five years.
However, the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia’s manufacturing index plunged to a negative 5.8 in January, compared to 4.6 in December. The median forecast of 58 economists surveyed by Bloomberg was 5.6, leading to the biggest miss in seven months.
In afternoon , the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased 0.70 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained 1.20 percent. However, gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) edged slightly lower. Silver names such as First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) increased 1.20 percent and 0.30 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Germany Takes Back Its Gold
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Worldwide Appetite for Gold Slumps 16% in 2Q 2014 – WGC
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million