Gold Nears $1,700 on Mixed Economic Reports
By Eric McWhinnie | January 18, 2013 7:09 AM EST
On Thursday, gold ( for February delivery, the most active contract, increased $7.60 to settle at $1,690.80 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March rose 27 cents to close at $31.81.
Both precious metals climbed higher in the face of conflicting economic reports. Jobless claims fell 37,000 to a seasonally adjusted 335,000 last week, according to the Labor Department. It was the lowest level for unemployment benefit applications in five years.
However, the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia’s manufacturing index plunged to a negative 5.8 in January, compared to 4.6 in December. The median forecast of 58 economists surveyed by Bloomberg was 5.6, leading to the biggest miss in seven months.
In afternoon , the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased 0.70 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained 1.20 percent. However, gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) edged slightly lower. Silver names such as First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) increased 1.20 percent and 0.30 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Germany Takes Back Its Gold
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Join the Conversation
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: Battle of the Samsung Flagship Smartphones
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Apple iPad Air 2, OS X Yosemite Release Date Set For October, While iPad Mini 3 With Retina Headed For 2015 Release
- Purported Xiaomi Redmi Note Successor Powered With Monstrous Processor Under Wraps, Will Take On Meizu MX4
- U.S and Canada Fighter Jets Chase Out Russian Jets Near Alaska: Air Space Violation Not Confirmed