Gold Nears $1,700 on Mixed Economic Reports
By Eric McWhinnie | January 18, 2013 7:09 AM EST
On Thursday, gold ( for February delivery, the most active contract, increased $7.60 to settle at $1,690.80 per ounce, while silver (NYSEARCA:SLV) futures for March rose 27 cents to close at $31.81.
Both precious metals climbed higher in the face of conflicting economic reports. Jobless claims fell 37,000 to a seasonally adjusted 335,000 last week, according to the Labor Department. It was the lowest level for unemployment benefit applications in five years.
However, the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia’s manufacturing index plunged to a negative 5.8 in January, compared to 4.6 in December. The median forecast of 58 economists surveyed by Bloomberg was 5.6, leading to the biggest miss in seven months.
In afternoon , the SPDR Gold Trust (NYSEARCA:GLD) increased 0.70 percent, while the iShares Silver Trust (NYSEARCA:SLV) gained 1.20 percent. However, gold miners (NYSEARCA:GDX) such as Barrick Gold (NYSE:ABX) and Yamana Gold (NYSE:AUY) edged slightly lower. Silver names such as First Majestic Silver (NYSE:AG) and Silver Wheaton (NYSE:SLW) increased 1.20 percent and 0.30 percent, respectively.
Investor Insight: Germany Takes Back Its Gold
If you would like to receive professional analysis on miners and other precious metal investments, we invite you to try our premium service free for 14 days.
Disclosure: Long EXK, AG, HL, PHYS
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Global Markets Overview – July 15, 2014
- Honduran Gold Mine Caves in; 8 Rescued, 3 Remain Trapped (PHOTOS)
- Chinese Govt Tightens Control on Gold to Curb Imports, Could Drop 400T from 2013 – Report
- ANZ Seeks Role in Pilot Global Gold Trading Platform in Shanghai
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff