Shakira Pregnancy Update: Singer Displays Baby Bump with Shirtless Gerard Pique
By Simi John | January 17, 2013 9:04 PM EST
Pregnant Colombian singer Shakira, who is expecting her first child with Barcelona defender Gerard Piqué, has posed for an intimate photograph showing off her baby bump.
The image, posted on Twitter, shows Piqué wrapping his hands around his girlfriend and their first child together.
"We'd like to celebrate the imminent birth of our first child with all of you. #babyshower," Shakira tweeted. The post included a link to an online baby shower, hosted by UNICEF with the purpose of raising awareness on child survival.
Fans of the singer and the Spanish international can purchase gifts ranging from mosquito nets, polio vaccine and a weighing scale to therapeutic food that helps malnourished children. To purchase these gifts, interested parties can log on to a secure UNICEF Web page.
"Every expectant parent around the world shares all the same hopes and dreams for their children that we do," Shakira, who is a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador, said in a statement.
"Yet many don't share the same opportunities. Together we know we can change that."
The 35-year-old singer recently attended the presentation of a book - Al Viento y al Azar (The Wind and Random) - by her father, writer and journalist William Mebarak Chadid, in Barcelona. During the event, she admitted to taking parenthood advice from her father.
"But since I can't predict if my little one will come with more advantages or more burdens into this world, and I'm on the threshold of motherhood, I hope the child takes an example from its grandpa, because my dad is a person who always helps settle those little conflicts and that's one reason I'm so proud of him," Shakira said.
Shakira and Pique met when he featured in a music video for the theme song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup in South Africa. The Spanish international, who is 10 years younger than his girlfriend, confirmed their relationship in March 2011, with a Facebook post and photograph of the two. Rumours the singer was pregnant followed about a year later (in June) and were strengthened after the two were seen shopping for maternity clothes in Miami.
The Hips Don't Lie singer previously dated Antonio de La Rua, the son of former Argentine president Fernando de la Rua, for 11 years.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Avengers 2: Capt.America Dances With Peggy Carter, First Love Returns
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Break-Up Furor Ceased: West Gets Turned on by Kim, Puts Rest to Marriage Trouble Reports
- Selena Gomez & Andre Hamann Update: Andre Calls Selena Stunning, Admits Crush on Singer
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air