Govt Permits OMCs to Revise Diesel Prices; Raises LPG Cap to Nine Cylinders
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 17, 2013 8:57 PM EST
The Indian government on Thursday hiked the number of subsidised LPG cylinders per family to nine from the current cap of six and allowed state-owned oil companies to revise the price of diesel.
Diesel remains highly subsidized while petrol prices were deregulated in 2010.
"On LPG, we put a cap of 6 subsidised cylinders per year. Almost half of our people, who need our help the most, actually use only 6 cylinders or less. We have ensured they are not affected. Others will still get 6 subsidised cylinders, but they must pay a higher price for more," said PM Mammohan Singh a few months ago.
The decision to raise the cap on subsidized LPG cylinders came following the proposal by the Oil Ministry to the cabinet earlier this month to revise the decision taken in 2012.
The Cabinet on Thursday announced the decision to raise the cap on subsidised LPG cylinders from April 2013, but Oil and Natural Gas Minister M Veerappa Moily said that oil companies can raise diesel price from time to time.
Experts are of the opinion that price hike in oil products like diesel could affect the economy.
"It's kind of ambiguous. But if they're able to push through the increases over a course of six to seven months, it will improve the prospects for next year's fiscal deficit. However, it will be inflationary. This kind of signals there will be regular increases. It will push up inflation expectations, and will lead to second round effects," A. Prasanna, Economist, ICICI Securities, Primary Dealership Ltd, Mumbai, told Reuters.
(With Inputs from Reuters)
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]