Qantas, Emirates Alliance Finally Lifts Off
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 17, 2013 7:09 PM EST
The much touted Qantas and Emirates alliance will now finally lift off after the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) on Thursday gave the two airline companies the awaited interim approval for its partnership.
This meant that under the provisional approval, Qantas and Emirates may start working on the alliance, including selling tickets for use from April 1 once final authorisation is granted by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC).
"For consumers, interim authorisation means we can provide details on fares and allow people to book one-stop destinations on most parts of the combined Emirates and Qantas network," Alan Joyce, Qantas chief executive, said in a statement.
"This decision means we can determine pricing, capacity and scheduling with Emirates, in addition to the more logistical aspects of the partnership that we have been working through already."
Under the alliance, Qantas will codeshare with Emirates on flights to Europe, North Africa, the Middle East and Asia as well as across the Tasman. Moreover, Qantas will stop-off all flights at Dubai, rather than Singapore, which are bound for London and other European destinations.
Rod Sims, ACCC chairman, said the alliance was approved as the commission saw that the public stands to benefit more from it, rather than the opposite.
"In most regions, this detriment is likely to be mitigated by a number of factors, including continued competition from a number of established airlines," he said in a statement.
Qantas said it will work to make available by April 1 the fares on the two airlines' combined networks.
Matthew Spence, analyst from Bank of America Merril Lynch, said Qantas could rake in as much as $150 million in annual benefits from the alliance. The Flying Kangaroo reported a $216 million loss in 2010/11 and $450 million loss in 2011/12.
Stocks of Qantas jumped 1.8 per cent to A$1.57 on the news.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- ISIS Posts Threats On Twitter, Works Around California Earthquake Hashtags, Pressures US To Respond To #StevensHeadinObamasHands
- United Airlines Flight Diverted as Passengers Fought Over Anti-Seat Reclining Device
- Iceland Volcano: Bardarbunga Stricken by 5.7 Magnitude Earthquake But Still No Eruption, Magma Could be Going Elsewhere
- Chicago Marathon Brings Over $253 Million in Business
- New Zealand's High Growth Rate Predicted To Fall When Christchurch Rebuild Halts
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Canada Concerned About Russia’s Military Expansion in Arctic
- Nokia X2 vs. Nokia Lumia 530 - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Trending: Ice Bucket Challenge Replaced By Rubble Bucket Challenge By People Of Gaza
- US, Syria to Work Together to Vaporise ISIS
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU