Internet Favors Two Girls and a Puppy - Clever Kids' Photo Got a Million 'Likes' in 7 Hours
By Arlene Paredes | January 17, 2013 12:16 PM EST
A dad who was not too keen on getting his kids another puppy after they lost a dog to cancer challenged his kids: Get 1 million likes, you'll get a puppy. They did it in only seven hours.
The father-of-five had set up a Facebook page for the kids for his challenge. "We're two sisters who want a puppy!" The account succinctly says on its "About" page. The two girls are two-fifths of the children in an adorable and clever photo posted by the kids. The phenomenon was chronicled on this blog by Chris Breikks.
"Yesterday afternoon an east coast American family had a conversation about getting a family dog and in the end, a father challenged two daughters (out of 5 kids!), that if they could get 1 million likes on Facebook, that they would get a puppy. In 7 hours, they reached their goal," writes Breikks.
"For those that are curious if we make it our new puppy will be a rescue either from a local shelter or a local rescue organization," the 'Two Girls' Facebook page states, answering queries by posters about the kind of dog they will get.
The dad has been evidently amused by the turn of events. Hours before his kids' Facebook page had accomplished its mission, the dad posted:
"This page started as a random idea during a conversation with the girls this afternoon. I honestly didn't think it would explode like this, but it's been fun to watch. The girls are asleep right now (it's late on the east coast of the US), but will no doubt be thrilled to see what happened on the page overnight. With so many folks visiting, this may be a futile appeal: but these are real kids and they will want to read your comments and see who posted on the wall overnight. Please keep the language civil."
The kids were amazed by how a plea can go viral on the internet. They have also unwittingly demonstrated how an appeal can go viral in less than 12 hours: Be adorable, be cute and make a clear call to action.
"In our original post we had a link for donations, but that was partly because mom and dad didn't think anyone other than close friends and family would actually see this page! We removed that link when we saw how many people were coming to this page. We don't want to ask strangers for money, only likes. Thanks for your likes!"
"Good Morning America" reported a story on the overnight internet sensation Wednesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown