Montpellier Open to Tottenham Offer for Star Midfielder
By Adrian Back | January 17, 2013 3:53 AM EST
Montpellier chairman Louis Nicollin has admitted that there has been no official bid from Tottenham for attacking midfielder Younes Belhanda, but suggested the club would be prepared to listen to offers.
Belhanda has been one of the top performers at the Ligue 1 side in recent seasons but it seems that Montpellier would be prepared to cash-in on their star player in order to bring in some much-needed funds.
The Morocco international had been heavily linked with a move to Fenerbahce but a deal has yet to be agreed and it now seems as though the club are hoping that there will be some interest from the Premier League.
Sky Sports has reported that both Tottenham and Arsenal have been linked with the 22-year-old in recent weeks and it appears Montpellier would welcome an offer from Spurs.
"Tottenham's interest? There has been nothing official as yet, but I would like there to be," Nicollin told L'Equipe. "If a good offer arrives, he will leave. We can live without him and he can live without us."
The chairman then spoke about the possibility of Belhanda joining Fenerbahce, saying: "Nothing has evolved. They wanted to pay us in three instalments. They can keep their money."
Tottenham have already agreed two deals in January but neither player is expected to fature in the first team this season. Defender Zeki Fryers will play for the youth sides and try and force his way into selection for the first team, while Lewis Holtby is unlikely to move this month and will instead join in the summer.
While Tottenham do have plenty of options in midfield, Belhanda has the ability to play in a range of positions whether on either wing or through the centre as an attacking midfielder.
He has also shown that he has an eye for goal as last season he scored 12 times in the league, while he already has six goals in his 16 league starts this campaign.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown