Montpellier Open to Tottenham Offer for Star Midfielder
By Adrian Back | January 17, 2013 3:53 AM EST
Montpellier chairman Louis Nicollin has admitted that there has been no official bid from Tottenham for attacking midfielder Younes Belhanda, but suggested the club would be prepared to listen to offers.
Belhanda has been one of the top performers at the Ligue 1 side in recent seasons but it seems that Montpellier would be prepared to cash-in on their star player in order to bring in some much-needed funds.
The Morocco international had been heavily linked with a move to Fenerbahce but a deal has yet to be agreed and it now seems as though the club are hoping that there will be some interest from the Premier League.
Sky Sports has reported that both Tottenham and Arsenal have been linked with the 22-year-old in recent weeks and it appears Montpellier would welcome an offer from Spurs.
"Tottenham's interest? There has been nothing official as yet, but I would like there to be," Nicollin told L'Equipe. "If a good offer arrives, he will leave. We can live without him and he can live without us."
The chairman then spoke about the possibility of Belhanda joining Fenerbahce, saying: "Nothing has evolved. They wanted to pay us in three instalments. They can keep their money."
Tottenham have already agreed two deals in January but neither player is expected to fature in the first team this season. Defender Zeki Fryers will play for the youth sides and try and force his way into selection for the first team, while Lewis Holtby is unlikely to move this month and will instead join in the summer.
While Tottenham do have plenty of options in midfield, Belhanda has the ability to play in a range of positions whether on either wing or through the centre as an attacking midfielder.
He has also shown that he has an eye for goal as last season he scored 12 times in the league, while he already has six goals in his 16 league starts this campaign.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS