Montpellier Open to Tottenham Offer for Star Midfielder
By Adrian Back | January 17, 2013 3:53 AM EST
Montpellier chairman Louis Nicollin has admitted that there has been no official bid from Tottenham for attacking midfielder Younes Belhanda, but suggested the club would be prepared to listen to offers.
Belhanda has been one of the top performers at the Ligue 1 side in recent seasons but it seems that Montpellier would be prepared to cash-in on their star player in order to bring in some much-needed funds.
The Morocco international had been heavily linked with a move to Fenerbahce but a deal has yet to be agreed and it now seems as though the club are hoping that there will be some interest from the Premier League.
Sky Sports has reported that both Tottenham and Arsenal have been linked with the 22-year-old in recent weeks and it appears Montpellier would welcome an offer from Spurs.
"Tottenham's interest? There has been nothing official as yet, but I would like there to be," Nicollin told L'Equipe. "If a good offer arrives, he will leave. We can live without him and he can live without us."
The chairman then spoke about the possibility of Belhanda joining Fenerbahce, saying: "Nothing has evolved. They wanted to pay us in three instalments. They can keep their money."
Tottenham have already agreed two deals in January but neither player is expected to fature in the first team this season. Defender Zeki Fryers will play for the youth sides and try and force his way into selection for the first team, while Lewis Holtby is unlikely to move this month and will instead join in the summer.
While Tottenham do have plenty of options in midfield, Belhanda has the ability to play in a range of positions whether on either wing or through the centre as an attacking midfielder.
He has also shown that he has an eye for goal as last season he scored 12 times in the league, while he already has six goals in his 16 league starts this campaign.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- ESPN Anchor Skip Bayless Says Floyd Mayweather Jr Will Not Fight Manny Pacquiao Because Undefeated Fighter Is ‘Afraid To Lose’
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues