Montpellier Open to Tottenham Offer for Star Midfielder
By Adrian Back | January 17, 2013 3:53 AM EST
Montpellier chairman Louis Nicollin has admitted that there has been no official bid from Tottenham for attacking midfielder Younes Belhanda, but suggested the club would be prepared to listen to offers.
Belhanda has been one of the top performers at the Ligue 1 side in recent seasons but it seems that Montpellier would be prepared to cash-in on their star player in order to bring in some much-needed funds.
The Morocco international had been heavily linked with a move to Fenerbahce but a deal has yet to be agreed and it now seems as though the club are hoping that there will be some interest from the Premier League.
Sky Sports has reported that both Tottenham and Arsenal have been linked with the 22-year-old in recent weeks and it appears Montpellier would welcome an offer from Spurs.
"Tottenham's interest? There has been nothing official as yet, but I would like there to be," Nicollin told L'Equipe. "If a good offer arrives, he will leave. We can live without him and he can live without us."
The chairman then spoke about the possibility of Belhanda joining Fenerbahce, saying: "Nothing has evolved. They wanted to pay us in three instalments. They can keep their money."
Tottenham have already agreed two deals in January but neither player is expected to fature in the first team this season. Defender Zeki Fryers will play for the youth sides and try and force his way into selection for the first team, while Lewis Holtby is unlikely to move this month and will instead join in the summer.
While Tottenham do have plenty of options in midfield, Belhanda has the ability to play in a range of positions whether on either wing or through the centre as an attacking midfielder.
He has also shown that he has an eye for goal as last season he scored 12 times in the league, while he already has six goals in his 16 league starts this campaign.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares