Montpellier Open to Tottenham Offer for Star Midfielder
By Adrian Back | January 17, 2013 3:53 AM EST
Montpellier chairman Louis Nicollin has admitted that there has been no official bid from Tottenham for attacking midfielder Younes Belhanda, but suggested the club would be prepared to listen to offers.
Belhanda has been one of the top performers at the Ligue 1 side in recent seasons but it seems that Montpellier would be prepared to cash-in on their star player in order to bring in some much-needed funds.
The Morocco international had been heavily linked with a move to Fenerbahce but a deal has yet to be agreed and it now seems as though the club are hoping that there will be some interest from the Premier League.
Sky Sports has reported that both Tottenham and Arsenal have been linked with the 22-year-old in recent weeks and it appears Montpellier would welcome an offer from Spurs.
"Tottenham's interest? There has been nothing official as yet, but I would like there to be," Nicollin told L'Equipe. "If a good offer arrives, he will leave. We can live without him and he can live without us."
The chairman then spoke about the possibility of Belhanda joining Fenerbahce, saying: "Nothing has evolved. They wanted to pay us in three instalments. They can keep their money."
Tottenham have already agreed two deals in January but neither player is expected to fature in the first team this season. Defender Zeki Fryers will play for the youth sides and try and force his way into selection for the first team, while Lewis Holtby is unlikely to move this month and will instead join in the summer.
While Tottenham do have plenty of options in midfield, Belhanda has the ability to play in a range of positions whether on either wing or through the centre as an attacking midfielder.
He has also shown that he has an eye for goal as last season he scored 12 times in the league, while he already has six goals in his 16 league starts this campaign.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu