Tesco Horsemeat Burger Alarm Pushes Share Price Down [VIDEO]
By Shane Croucher | January 16, 2013 9:59 PM EST
The Food Service Authority of Ireland analysed 27 beefburger products sold by supermarkets and found that 10 tested positive for horse DNA.
Nine of these 10 contained "very low levels" of horse DNA, but one beefburger product - from Tesco - was made up of 29 percent horsemeat.
There is no health risk from eating horsemeat and it is popular in some parts of the world, such as France, though it is rarely eaten in Ireland and the UK.
"We immediately withdrew from sale all products from the supplier in question," said Tim Smith, Tesco's Group Technical Director.
"We are working with the authorities in Ireland and the UK, and with the supplier concerned, to urgently understand how this has happened and how to ensure it does not happen again.
"We will not take any products from this site until the conclusion and satisfactory resolution of an investigation."
Other shops stocking products from suppliers with beef products containing traces of horse, as well as pig DNA, include Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes Stores, and Iceland.
"Whilst, there is a plausible explanation for the presence of pig DNA in these products due to the fact that meat from different animals is processed in the same meat plants, there is no clear explanation at this time for the presence of horse DNA in products emanating from meat plants that do not use horsemeat in their production process," said Professor Alan Reilly, Chief Executive of the FSAI.
"In Ireland, it is not in our culture to eat horsemeat and therefore, we do not expect to find it in a burger.
"Likewise, for some religious groups or people who abstain from eating pig meat, the presence of traces of pig DNA is unacceptable."
Twitter users flooded the social networking site with horse puns and jokes poking fun at the horsemeat fuss.
"I expect this only relates to those mini-burgers you have as snacks. You know, the horse d'oeuvres," wrote one.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date