Tesco Horsemeat Burger Alarm Pushes Share Price Down [VIDEO]
By Shane Croucher | January 16, 2013 9:59 PM EST
The Food Service Authority of Ireland analysed 27 beefburger products sold by supermarkets and found that 10 tested positive for horse DNA.
Nine of these 10 contained "very low levels" of horse DNA, but one beefburger product - from Tesco - was made up of 29 percent horsemeat.
There is no health risk from eating horsemeat and it is popular in some parts of the world, such as France, though it is rarely eaten in Ireland and the UK.
"We immediately withdrew from sale all products from the supplier in question," said Tim Smith, Tesco's Group Technical Director.
"We are working with the authorities in Ireland and the UK, and with the supplier concerned, to urgently understand how this has happened and how to ensure it does not happen again.
"We will not take any products from this site until the conclusion and satisfactory resolution of an investigation."
Other shops stocking products from suppliers with beef products containing traces of horse, as well as pig DNA, include Lidl, Aldi, Dunnes Stores, and Iceland.
"Whilst, there is a plausible explanation for the presence of pig DNA in these products due to the fact that meat from different animals is processed in the same meat plants, there is no clear explanation at this time for the presence of horse DNA in products emanating from meat plants that do not use horsemeat in their production process," said Professor Alan Reilly, Chief Executive of the FSAI.
"In Ireland, it is not in our culture to eat horsemeat and therefore, we do not expect to find it in a burger.
"Likewise, for some religious groups or people who abstain from eating pig meat, the presence of traces of pig DNA is unacceptable."
Twitter users flooded the social networking site with horse puns and jokes poking fun at the horsemeat fuss.
"I expect this only relates to those mini-burgers you have as snacks. You know, the horse d'oeuvres," wrote one.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Miranda Kerr Broke Her Silence: Not Pregnant With James Packard’s Baby [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Google Works on Powering Up Chromebook Line to Kill Competitors, Nvidia Joins with Acer for New Killer Laptop