Barratt Development Shares Slide as Dividend Caution Clouds Profit Surge
By Shane Croucher | January 16, 2013 8:26 PM EST
Barratt Developments PLC, Britain's biggest homebuilder, said it more than doubled its pre-tax profit in the six months to December 31, but that its full-year dividend would be "conservatively set" assuming broad stability in the housing market.
The construction firm defied a difficult market for builders, who have seen their industry in free-fall since the end of 2011 as public sector contracts dried up amid government austerity, and reduce its debt burden.
Profit before tax for the six months will likely be £45m, a 108 percent increase on the previous year, the company said in a trading update ahead of its interim results announcement on February 27.
"This has been a good first half performance," said Mark Clare, Barratt's chief executive, adding that his firm's investment programme to buy up more recession-cheapened land in the south east for new developments "will drive further profit growth.
Barratt managed to pull its net debt down to around £332m, down from the previous year's figure of £542.2m, with the firm saying that reducing indebtedness is one of its key objectives and should be cleared by June 2015.
Following completion of 5,085 units, group revenues for the six months to December 31 will be around £950m.
The builder should get a boost from the Bank of England's Funding for Lending Scheme, which is helping to free up credit availability - such as mortgages - in British banks.
As people find it easier to get home loans, the demand for new property will increase which will help Barratt "to deliver a significant improvement in profitability for the full year".
Further to its interim statement, Barratt announced that it has acquired two new development sites in London it claims to have a development value of £400m and will create 1,000 new homes in the capital.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: Australia Mulls To Review Airport Security Policy, Could Allow Scissors, Metal Cutlery Back In Planes
- 5 Likely Reasons Why You Are Not Getting Hired
- With Falling Oil Prices All Eyes On OPEC Meeting
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Consumer Alert: Retailer Simons Goes Out Of Quebec, To Open Five Stores Across Canada
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]