Barratt Development Shares Slide as Dividend Caution Clouds Profit Surge
By Shane Croucher | January 16, 2013 8:26 PM EST
Barratt Developments PLC, Britain's biggest homebuilder, said it more than doubled its pre-tax profit in the six months to December 31, but that its full-year dividend would be "conservatively set" assuming broad stability in the housing market.
The construction firm defied a difficult market for builders, who have seen their industry in free-fall since the end of 2011 as public sector contracts dried up amid government austerity, and reduce its debt burden.
Profit before tax for the six months will likely be £45m, a 108 percent increase on the previous year, the company said in a trading update ahead of its interim results announcement on February 27.
"This has been a good first half performance," said Mark Clare, Barratt's chief executive, adding that his firm's investment programme to buy up more recession-cheapened land in the south east for new developments "will drive further profit growth.
Barratt managed to pull its net debt down to around £332m, down from the previous year's figure of £542.2m, with the firm saying that reducing indebtedness is one of its key objectives and should be cleared by June 2015.
Following completion of 5,085 units, group revenues for the six months to December 31 will be around £950m.
The builder should get a boost from the Bank of England's Funding for Lending Scheme, which is helping to free up credit availability - such as mortgages - in British banks.
As people find it easier to get home loans, the demand for new property will increase which will help Barratt "to deliver a significant improvement in profitability for the full year".
Further to its interim statement, Barratt announced that it has acquired two new development sites in London it claims to have a development value of £400m and will create 1,000 new homes in the capital.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Russia Demands Ukraine Release Communications With Doomed Malaysia Airlines MH17, Preliminary Report On Investigations Out This Month
- Ebola Update: Liberian Forces Receive Shoot Orders Against People Trying to Cross from Sierra Leone Border
- Historic First Time: Catholic Pontiff Pope Francis Supports Military Intervention Against ISIS In Iraq
- Chinese Airlines Receives Lawsuit for Rejecting HIV-Positive Passengers
- Travel Alert: Canada Issues Warning Against Chikungunya Disease in Caribbean
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display