Mars Rover Curiosity, 'Flower' Update: Photo Still Baffles Scientists [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | January 16, 2013 3:50 PM EST
Mars rover Curiosity sent back to Earth an image of what looked like a flower on the red planet. Scientists still do not have enough information about the object, but they insist the pearl-colored material is not biological in nature.
The Martian "flower" was dubbed as such when it was discussed on Above Top Secret forum. User Arken said the object's irregular form resembled the pistils of a flower. Apparently, some readers took away only the word "flower" from Arken's description.
"It could be a lot of things, but without some chemical information to back me up, I'd really hesitate to say what it is," Aileen Yingst, of the Planetary Science Institute in Tucson, Arizona, was quoted by Space.com on Tuesday.
Yingst is the deputy principal investigator for Curiosity's Mars Hand Lens Imager, or MAHLI.
"I'm not trying to be cagey," said Yingst, "I'm just trying to be clear that a light grain could be a lot of different things."
The rover Curiosity is set to drill for the first time within the area in which the translucent odd object was spotted and photographed. Scientists hope to gather more data from the site.
"It does indicate that you have, you know, a relatively diverse set of grains just in this one sample," Yingst said, referring to the implication of finding the peculiar Martian grain.
Curiosity is equipped with instruments that can detect organic compounds, or the building blocks of life. The world awaits the next big graphic information that it could get from Mars.
VIDEO: 'Flower' on Mars is not a sign of life - NASA
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Headache: Rx – Sex 3X A Day
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS