Mars Rover Curiosity, 'Flower' Update: Photo Still Baffles Scientists [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | January 16, 2013 3:50 PM EST
Mars rover Curiosity sent back to Earth an image of what looked like a flower on the red planet. Scientists still do not have enough information about the object, but they insist the pearl-colored material is not biological in nature.
The Martian "flower" was dubbed as such when it was discussed on Above Top Secret forum. User Arken said the object's irregular form resembled the pistils of a flower. Apparently, some readers took away only the word "flower" from Arken's description.
"It could be a lot of things, but without some chemical information to back me up, I'd really hesitate to say what it is," Aileen Yingst, of the Planetary Science Institute in Tucson, Arizona, was quoted by Space.com on Tuesday.
Yingst is the deputy principal investigator for Curiosity's Mars Hand Lens Imager, or MAHLI.
"I'm not trying to be cagey," said Yingst, "I'm just trying to be clear that a light grain could be a lot of different things."
The rover Curiosity is set to drill for the first time within the area in which the translucent odd object was spotted and photographed. Scientists hope to gather more data from the site.
"It does indicate that you have, you know, a relatively diverse set of grains just in this one sample," Yingst said, referring to the implication of finding the peculiar Martian grain.
Curiosity is equipped with instruments that can detect organic compounds, or the building blocks of life. The world awaits the next big graphic information that it could get from Mars.
VIDEO: 'Flower' on Mars is not a sign of life - NASA
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Complex Alien Molecule May Offer Hints At Origin Of Life
- Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak: New York Scientists Unveil A Cloaking Device [Watch Video]
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- Boy Bitten By A Snake During A Visit To The Botanical Garden In Melbourne
- Eerie Reddish Glow Of October 8 Total Lunar Eclipse – Astronomer Reminds Aussies To Enjoy Photo Opp
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate