Australia to Retain Gay Discrimination Law; Memes Abound
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 16, 2013 11:24 AM EST
Prime Minister Julia Gillard will retain religious rights law which legally allows gay discrimination in Australia. Reports said that she has assured religious groups that a new rights bill will keep current law that permits faith-based organisations to refuse employment to people they view as sinners, including gays and lesbians.
Australia's Parliament rejected in 2012 a same-sex marriage bill. Ms Gillard, during a question hour, explained her personal views on gay unions.
PinkNews reported that Australian Christian Lobby Managing Director Jim Wallace has met with the prime minister several times and has allegedly assured him that she has no intention to restrict freedom of religion in Australia.
Ms Gillard's office declined to comment on her discussion with stakeholders, apparently avoiding controversy over a hot issue. In 2012, Ms Gillard backed out of attending a Christian lobby conference after Mr Wallace suggested smoking was healthier than a gay lifestyle.
Religious organisations in Australia are among the country's large employers, including the Catholic Church which runs private schools. While they get government funding, their religious status allows them to reject applicants with sexual orientation or lifestyle that goes against their beliefs.
Expected to steer the Human Rights and Anti-Discrimination Bill in the Senate is Finance Minister Penny Wong, a Christian and a lesbian. She said the bill seeks to balance current legislation with the practice of religious exemption and the principle of non-discrimination.
The bill as well as current debate over same-sex marriage in other western countries had resulted in gay memes abounding in social media sites.
This meme seems to describe the current situation in Australia
while this one has a more liberal but skeptic view of marriages.
The perceived hypocritical view towards same-sex union is tackled in these three memes.
While this last meme sees gay marriage in terms of dollars and cents.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos and Fellatio Video Hacker Could Face 10 Years In Prison
- Scam: Jennifer Lawrence’s Nude Photos Solidarity Campaign Deceives Women Into Snapping Naked Selfies
- Incest Charges For Georgia Siblings Who Had Sex Thrice After Watching The Notebook
- 3 Years Jail In Australian Prison For Former Playboy Model Brandi Brandt Over Cocaine Smugglng
- X-Men Director Bryan Singer Faces Sexual Assault Charges From 21-Year-Old Virginia Man
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers