Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg Unveils ‘Graph Search’ New Search Engine Tool!
By Jenalyn Villamarin | January 16, 2013 11:19 AM EST
Facebook revealed a new exciting feature for the social networking site's millions of users on Tuesday. CEO Mark Zuckerberg together with engineer Lars Rasmussen and Tom Stocky, director of product management, introduced the new search engine tool called "Graph Search" at a conference in Menlo Park, California.
Mark Zuckerberg confirmed that "Graph Search" will allow the 1 billion Facebook users browse detailed information from people, photographs, places and interests within the social networking site. However, only the contents shared with the users can be accessible due to privacy issues.
The unveiled feature is now being considered a challenge to the web site services already offered in Google, LinkedIn and Yelp. "This continues to pit Facebook against Google," Gartner analyst Michael Gartenberg stated.
Mark Zuckerberg further explained at the presentation that "Graph Search" will show photographs based on how interesting they are which is indicated on the number of comments and "likes" received. Moreover, the Facebook CEO assured that web users can modify searches as they input their friends' specific interests in music, restaurant or even their favorite dentist.
Facebook "Graph Search" results will be based on how near the searcher is to the other users on the web site depending on how often they interact with each other. "You need to be able to ask the query, like, who are my friends in San Francisco. Graph search is a really big product. It's going to take years and years to index the whole map of the graph and everything we have out there," Zuckerberg stated.
The Facebook team showed other abilities of the new search engine tool such as allowing recruiters find potential employees and users searching for dates. "Graph Search is designed to take a precise query and return to you the answer, not links to other places," Zuckerberg added.
Mark Zuckerberg emphasized that Facebook is not really venturing into the internet search engine which is Google's area of expertise. "This is just some really neat stuff. This is one of the coolest things we've done in a while. Graph Search is a completely new way for people to get information on Facebook," Zuckerberg said.
Partnership was unveiled as well at the conference. Facebook confirmed the joint venture with Microsoft's Bing search which will provide additional web answers if Graph Search fails to clearly answer the user's inquiries. "We'll start rolling it out very slowly. We're looking forward to getting into more people hands over coming weeks and months," Zuckerberg stated.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Video Showing Mentally Disabled African American Shot 46 Times By Eight Police Officers For Just Holding A Penknife
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Forced To Return To Royal Engagements, Feuding With The Queen Over Royal Duties---Report
- Google Loses Lawsuit Against Canadian Woman Over Breast Exposure
- Robbery Attempt in Sydney Bank, Armed Robbers on The Loose
- Father Spots A Bald Patch On The Lawn Outside His Girls' Bedroom And Gets Shocked At The Reason
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists