John Sculley: Apple’s System Needs Fixing
By Aabha Rathee | January 16, 2013 6:12 AM EST
A cheaper iPhone may have become a necessity, but . And there, a premium priced smartphone will just not work in the face of cheaper, similarly functional devices from Google ( fell to the lowest price in 11 months on Monday after news reports that it had cut back on production of the iPhone 5 after seeing weaker-than-expected demand. Several of Apple Asian suppliers, including Sharp, also declined after the reports. Slower iPhone demand “will inevitably have a negative impact on component suppliers,” Tong Yang Securities Park Hyun told Bloomberg. “The center of growth in the market is moving toward the mid-end segment.”
Sculley specifically mentioned the increasing levels of threat from devices such as Samsung’s (SSNLF.PK) Galaxy S series. “Samsung is an extraordinarily good competitor,” he said. “The differentiation between a Samsung Galaxy and an iPhone 5 is not as great as we used to see.”
The former chief did express confidence in current Tim Cook, who was speeding up the company’s product cycle to twice a year. Cook is “exactly the right leader” because of his supply-chain expertise, Sculley said.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop