Liverpool Star On Summer Radar For Possible Spanish Move – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 16, 2013 5:53 AM EST
Atletico Madrid are chasing Pepe Reina, according to reports in Spain, with the keeper said to be high on the La Liga side's wishlist despite his poor performances for Liverpool this season.
Reina has long been an important part of the Reds' lineup for some years now, with the keeper having featured for the club as their number one since 2005.
Liverpool have long insisted that he is not for sale, but AS newspaper in Spain claims that Atletico want to take him back to his home country in the summer, as a replacement for the likely departing stopper Thibaut Coutrois, who is currently on loan from Chelsea.
Talksport is reporting that while the Spanish club, who are currently second in the La Liga table and seven points ahead of Real Madrid, would have preferred to have taken Andres Fernandez from Osasuna, the star is being targeted by both Madrid and Barcelona, leaving the side with the need to find a back-up.
Reina's performances have been disappointing for Liverpool over the course of the season, with Brendan Rodgers reportedly considering letting the 30 year old go if his form didn't improve.
But Rodgers claimed that he had faith that one of his more experienced senior players would find his way again, saying in December: "I want to make it 150 per cent clear that this guy is in a really good place right now.
"He probably had a difficult couple of years - he'd admit that himself - but now he senses his best years are in front of him, not behind.
"He's working harder than ever, he has lost weight, he looks fresh and he looks bright. He's doing extra work and it is a great step forward to him and his commitment in terms staying here.
"At this moment in time he has three years left in his contract and I believe he has his best years ahead of him."
But should Atletico make a good offer, the manager could have his head turned.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- ISIS War: US Airstrikes Lead to Growing ISIS Support In Syria; Russia Questions Coalition's Policies
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]