Liverpool Star On Summer Radar For Possible Spanish Move – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 16, 2013 5:53 AM EST
Atletico Madrid are chasing Pepe Reina, according to reports in Spain, with the keeper said to be high on the La Liga side's wishlist despite his poor performances for Liverpool this season.
Reina has long been an important part of the Reds' lineup for some years now, with the keeper having featured for the club as their number one since 2005.
Liverpool have long insisted that he is not for sale, but AS newspaper in Spain claims that Atletico want to take him back to his home country in the summer, as a replacement for the likely departing stopper Thibaut Coutrois, who is currently on loan from Chelsea.
Talksport is reporting that while the Spanish club, who are currently second in the La Liga table and seven points ahead of Real Madrid, would have preferred to have taken Andres Fernandez from Osasuna, the star is being targeted by both Madrid and Barcelona, leaving the side with the need to find a back-up.
Reina's performances have been disappointing for Liverpool over the course of the season, with Brendan Rodgers reportedly considering letting the 30 year old go if his form didn't improve.
But Rodgers claimed that he had faith that one of his more experienced senior players would find his way again, saying in December: "I want to make it 150 per cent clear that this guy is in a really good place right now.
"He probably had a difficult couple of years - he'd admit that himself - but now he senses his best years are in front of him, not behind.
"He's working harder than ever, he has lost weight, he looks fresh and he looks bright. He's doing extra work and it is a great step forward to him and his commitment in terms staying here.
"At this moment in time he has three years left in his contract and I believe he has his best years ahead of him."
But should Atletico make a good offer, the manager could have his head turned.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Floyd Mayweather Jr. Will Probably Pick Between Amir Khan Or Manny Pacquiao For Next Fight According to Uncle Jeff
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate