Liverpool Star On Summer Radar For Possible Spanish Move – Report
By Vanessa Keller | January 16, 2013 5:53 AM EST
Atletico Madrid are chasing Pepe Reina, according to reports in Spain, with the keeper said to be high on the La Liga side's wishlist despite his poor performances for Liverpool this season.
Reina has long been an important part of the Reds' lineup for some years now, with the keeper having featured for the club as their number one since 2005.
Liverpool have long insisted that he is not for sale, but AS newspaper in Spain claims that Atletico want to take him back to his home country in the summer, as a replacement for the likely departing stopper Thibaut Coutrois, who is currently on loan from Chelsea.
Talksport is reporting that while the Spanish club, who are currently second in the La Liga table and seven points ahead of Real Madrid, would have preferred to have taken Andres Fernandez from Osasuna, the star is being targeted by both Madrid and Barcelona, leaving the side with the need to find a back-up.
Reina's performances have been disappointing for Liverpool over the course of the season, with Brendan Rodgers reportedly considering letting the 30 year old go if his form didn't improve.
But Rodgers claimed that he had faith that one of his more experienced senior players would find his way again, saying in December: "I want to make it 150 per cent clear that this guy is in a really good place right now.
"He probably had a difficult couple of years - he'd admit that himself - but now he senses his best years are in front of him, not behind.
"He's working harder than ever, he has lost weight, he looks fresh and he looks bright. He's doing extra work and it is a great step forward to him and his commitment in terms staying here.
"At this moment in time he has three years left in his contract and I believe he has his best years ahead of him."
But should Atletico make a good offer, the manager could have his head turned.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28