Ferguson Welcomes Back Duo for Hammers Replay
By Nick Howson | January 16, 2013 3:24 AM EST
Rooney has missed United's last five games after picking up a knee injury during training on Christmas, while Nani has been out since November with a hamstring problem.
But Ferguson has confirmed to MUTV that both players will feature against West Ham in the cup, and United look to set up a fourth round tie with either Fulham or Blackpool.
Fears have also been eased over injury victims from the win over Liverpool, Nemanja Vidic and Ashley Young, both of whom were replaced on Sunday.
Both players were understood to be suffering from knee injuries, and while Young will miss the next two games with the issue, Vidic picked up a concussion and is available for selection.
"Actually, Vida's knee is okay," Ferguson admitted. "It was concussion.
"He had a little bit of concussion but he's okay and fine. He trained yesterday and was good.
"There are no other serious knocks really. I think they're all pretty good. Obviously, Young has got a dull knock, a little bit of a strain on the knee, but it's nothing serious.
"I think he'll be back next week. Maybe not for Tottenham but, the week after, he should be okay."
After the pair's 2-2 draw at Upton Park, during which Robin van Persie scored a late equaliser, the replay should see former Hammer Rio Ferdinand return to the United defence against his former club.
After spending eight years at West Ham as a youth player and then as a first-team regular, Ferdinand has a special place in his heart for the club and admits the replay will be a nice occasion.
"West Ham is special for me," said the centre-back. "I look at West Ham as being a similar club to Manchester United in terms of their history and the way they keep all their people for so many years.
"Here, you see Cath on reception who has been here 30-odd years. It is similar at West Ham with Jimmy Frith and people like that. It is a club that is close to my heart because I came through the ranks there.
"I look out for their results, after Manchester United's results. I am sure it will always be that way."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best