Ferguson Welcomes Back Duo for Hammers Replay
By Nick Howson | January 16, 2013 3:24 AM EST
Rooney has missed United's last five games after picking up a knee injury during training on Christmas, while Nani has been out since November with a hamstring problem.
But Ferguson has confirmed to MUTV that both players will feature against West Ham in the cup, and United look to set up a fourth round tie with either Fulham or Blackpool.
Fears have also been eased over injury victims from the win over Liverpool, Nemanja Vidic and Ashley Young, both of whom were replaced on Sunday.
Both players were understood to be suffering from knee injuries, and while Young will miss the next two games with the issue, Vidic picked up a concussion and is available for selection.
"Actually, Vida's knee is okay," Ferguson admitted. "It was concussion.
"He had a little bit of concussion but he's okay and fine. He trained yesterday and was good.
"There are no other serious knocks really. I think they're all pretty good. Obviously, Young has got a dull knock, a little bit of a strain on the knee, but it's nothing serious.
"I think he'll be back next week. Maybe not for Tottenham but, the week after, he should be okay."
After the pair's 2-2 draw at Upton Park, during which Robin van Persie scored a late equaliser, the replay should see former Hammer Rio Ferdinand return to the United defence against his former club.
After spending eight years at West Ham as a youth player and then as a first-team regular, Ferdinand has a special place in his heart for the club and admits the replay will be a nice occasion.
"West Ham is special for me," said the centre-back. "I look at West Ham as being a similar club to Manchester United in terms of their history and the way they keep all their people for so many years.
"Here, you see Cath on reception who has been here 30-odd years. It is similar at West Ham with Jimmy Frith and people like that. It is a club that is close to my heart because I came through the ranks there.
"I look out for their results, after Manchester United's results. I am sure it will always be that way."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Meizu MX4 Pro To Arrive In November In Black And White Colours, Features Higher Than QHD Display, Exynos 5430 SoC And 3 GB RAM
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery