Ferguson Welcomes Back Duo for Hammers Replay
By Nick Howson | January 16, 2013 3:24 AM EST
Rooney has missed United's last five games after picking up a knee injury during training on Christmas, while Nani has been out since November with a hamstring problem.
But Ferguson has confirmed to MUTV that both players will feature against West Ham in the cup, and United look to set up a fourth round tie with either Fulham or Blackpool.
Fears have also been eased over injury victims from the win over Liverpool, Nemanja Vidic and Ashley Young, both of whom were replaced on Sunday.
Both players were understood to be suffering from knee injuries, and while Young will miss the next two games with the issue, Vidic picked up a concussion and is available for selection.
"Actually, Vida's knee is okay," Ferguson admitted. "It was concussion.
"He had a little bit of concussion but he's okay and fine. He trained yesterday and was good.
"There are no other serious knocks really. I think they're all pretty good. Obviously, Young has got a dull knock, a little bit of a strain on the knee, but it's nothing serious.
"I think he'll be back next week. Maybe not for Tottenham but, the week after, he should be okay."
After the pair's 2-2 draw at Upton Park, during which Robin van Persie scored a late equaliser, the replay should see former Hammer Rio Ferdinand return to the United defence against his former club.
After spending eight years at West Ham as a youth player and then as a first-team regular, Ferdinand has a special place in his heart for the club and admits the replay will be a nice occasion.
"West Ham is special for me," said the centre-back. "I look at West Ham as being a similar club to Manchester United in terms of their history and the way they keep all their people for so many years.
"Here, you see Cath on reception who has been here 30-odd years. It is similar at West Ham with Jimmy Frith and people like that. It is a club that is close to my heart because I came through the ranks there.
"I look out for their results, after Manchester United's results. I am sure it will always be that way."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS