Ferguson Welcomes Back Duo for Hammers Replay
By Nick Howson | January 16, 2013 3:24 AM EST
Rooney has missed United's last five games after picking up a knee injury during training on Christmas, while Nani has been out since November with a hamstring problem.
But Ferguson has confirmed to MUTV that both players will feature against West Ham in the cup, and United look to set up a fourth round tie with either Fulham or Blackpool.
Fears have also been eased over injury victims from the win over Liverpool, Nemanja Vidic and Ashley Young, both of whom were replaced on Sunday.
Both players were understood to be suffering from knee injuries, and while Young will miss the next two games with the issue, Vidic picked up a concussion and is available for selection.
"Actually, Vida's knee is okay," Ferguson admitted. "It was concussion.
"He had a little bit of concussion but he's okay and fine. He trained yesterday and was good.
"There are no other serious knocks really. I think they're all pretty good. Obviously, Young has got a dull knock, a little bit of a strain on the knee, but it's nothing serious.
"I think he'll be back next week. Maybe not for Tottenham but, the week after, he should be okay."
After the pair's 2-2 draw at Upton Park, during which Robin van Persie scored a late equaliser, the replay should see former Hammer Rio Ferdinand return to the United defence against his former club.
After spending eight years at West Ham as a youth player and then as a first-team regular, Ferdinand has a special place in his heart for the club and admits the replay will be a nice occasion.
"West Ham is special for me," said the centre-back. "I look at West Ham as being a similar club to Manchester United in terms of their history and the way they keep all their people for so many years.
"Here, you see Cath on reception who has been here 30-odd years. It is similar at West Ham with Jimmy Frith and people like that. It is a club that is close to my heart because I came through the ranks there.
"I look out for their results, after Manchester United's results. I am sure it will always be that way."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Manny Pacquiao Calls Out On Floyd Mayweather Jr. Again After Unbeaten Boxer Mocks Him With His KO Video
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Phil Hughes No More: Australian Batsman Dies at 25
- 2014 NFL Thanksgiving Games Results: Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles, Seattle Seahawks Notch All-Important Wins With Major Postseason Implications
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report