Obama Half-Brother Malik Obama Running For Governor In Kenya
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 16, 2013 3:03 AM EST
Malik Obama may live a world away from his half-brother, President Obama, but that’s not stopping him from following his half-sibling’s example.
After helping to represent Obama’s extended family during his younger half-brother’s presidential campaign this past year, Malik Obama, 54, announced plans to run for political office himself, this weekend, reported CBS News.
At a public gathering in Kogelo, the ancestral village of President Obama which is still the current home of his grandmother, Malik Obama announced his intention to run for governor in Siaya county in western Kenya as an independent. Obama will likely run against Oburu Odinga, the brother of Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga, and the current Assistant Minister for Finance.
The elder Obama, who shares the same father as the current President of the United States, says that Siaya county has been the victim of poor management and he hopes to help turn it around. According to Bloomberg, the rural county, which has about 842,000 residents, has a 35.3 % poverty rate. Siaya is also home to some of the highest rates of HIV and malaria infection.
“Siaya county is facing a lot of problems from poor infrastructure to poverty due to bad leadership,” Obama said in the public announcement. “I will change this if elected.”
The election, scheduled to be held on March 4, will be the first national election in Kenya since 2007 when election disputes led to the deaths of over 1,100 people.
Obama has said that if elected, he will leverage his connection to the President to help effect change in the troubled county. Although Malik and Barack Obama did not meet until they were both in their twenties, the two are reportedly close. Both served as best man at one another’s weddings, reported the Inquisitr.
Unlike President Obama, Malik was raised in Nairobi, where he studied accounting and later went on to run an electronics store.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date