Maruti Cars to Cost ₹20,000 More From Wednesday
By Sree Vazhakode | January 16, 2013 12:37 AM EST
Maruti Suzuki India announced on Tuesday that it will increase the prices of vehicles across models by up to ₹20,000 from Jan 16. The car maker said the price hike was necessitated to offset the pressure from the fluctuations in domestic currency, PTI reported.
"The price hike across all models will come into effect from tomorrow and will be up to Rs. 20,000," Maruti Suzuki India chief operating officer (marketing and sales) Mayank Pareek said.
Maruti, India's largest car maker by sales, had announced a price hike of 1-3 percent a month ago as weak rupee and increasing cost of production adversely affected the margins. Maruti sells models such as the Ritz, Alto, SX4, Swift, Dzire and the Ertiga.
The local units of several other car makers like Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz had increased the sale price of their vehicles in past months. Hyundai Motor Co. and General Motor Co. is also expected to hike vehicle prices soon.
Indian car companies are currently battling weak consumer demand from high interest rates and increased fuel prices.
The Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) cut its growth forecast for India's car sales to 1-2 percent for the fiscal year ending March, from its initial estimate of 10-12 percent, in a report released last week.
"Negative sentiment among lower-end customers by virtue of interest rates not coming down, high fuel charges; all these put together is hurting sentiments," said S. Sandilya, president of the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored