Maruti Cars to Cost ₹20,000 More From Wednesday
By Sree Vazhakode | January 16, 2013 12:37 AM EST
Maruti Suzuki India announced on Tuesday that it will increase the prices of vehicles across models by up to ₹20,000 from Jan 16. The car maker said the price hike was necessitated to offset the pressure from the fluctuations in domestic currency, PTI reported.
"The price hike across all models will come into effect from tomorrow and will be up to Rs. 20,000," Maruti Suzuki India chief operating officer (marketing and sales) Mayank Pareek said.
Maruti, India's largest car maker by sales, had announced a price hike of 1-3 percent a month ago as weak rupee and increasing cost of production adversely affected the margins. Maruti sells models such as the Ritz, Alto, SX4, Swift, Dzire and the Ertiga.
The local units of several other car makers like Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz had increased the sale price of their vehicles in past months. Hyundai Motor Co. and General Motor Co. is also expected to hike vehicle prices soon.
Indian car companies are currently battling weak consumer demand from high interest rates and increased fuel prices.
The Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) cut its growth forecast for India's car sales to 1-2 percent for the fiscal year ending March, from its initial estimate of 10-12 percent, in a report released last week.
"Negative sentiment among lower-end customers by virtue of interest rates not coming down, high fuel charges; all these put together is hurting sentiments," said S. Sandilya, president of the Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM).
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8