HMV in Administration Putting 4,500 Jobs at Risk [VIDEO]
By Jerin Mathew | January 15, 2013 4:53 PM EST
Music and film retailer HMV is preparing to appoint administrators, putting thousands of jobs at the 92-year-old retail chain at risk.
Accountants Deloitte is set to run the troubled retailer's 239 stores in the UK and Irish Republic, and it will assess the business prospects of the chain along with seeking potential buyers.
Being the latest casualty on the UK's high street, following high profile retailers including Comet and Jessops, the collapse of HMV could render about 4, 500 jobs redundant.
On 13 December, the company, which has been in distress for more than a year, warned investors of a possible breach of bank loan commitments. HMV shares plummeted following the news.
The company was in discussions with its banks and other key stakeholders in order to solve the problems, but it could not reach a deal.
"The board regrets to announce that it has been unable to reach a position where it feels able to continue to trade outside of insolvency protection and in the circumstances therefore intends to file notice to appoint administrators to the company and certain of its subsidiaries with immediate effect," the company said in a statement.
The retailer, known for its Nipper the dog trademark, has been facing stiff competition from online retailers and supermarkets amid the ongoing economic weakness in Britain. Further, the crucial Christmas season trading was not favourable for the company.
HMV asked for about £300m (€361m, $482m) in additional financing from its suppliers to repay its bank debt, and fund the restructuring of the business, but the proposal was rejected, according to the Financial Times.
The retailer, whose first store was opened in London's Oxford Street in 1921, divested its live entertainment arm and the Waterstones book chain to continue in business. In addition, HMV announced a month-long sale with discounts up to 25 percent with a view to offloading its stock following poor Christmas business.
Trading in HMV's shares has been suspended.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO
- Plane Freezes in Russian Arctic, Passengers Push (WATCH VIDEO)
- With Falling Oil Prices All Eyes On OPEC Meeting
- New Zealand's Job Expo In Sydney To Showcase 2,000 Wellington Jobs
- This Is How Obesity Weighs Down Global Economy By 2 Trillion Dollars Every Year
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys