Nokia Lumia 920 Update: Portico Updates Delivered to Canadian Owners; AT&T Extends Promo for Free Wireless Charging Pad
By Erik Pineda | January 15, 2013 4:25 PM EST
Nokia and its partners have been delivering impressive after-sales services for the Lumia 920, dispatching timely patches and offering great accessories to further increase the attention it managed to capture starting late 2012.
In Canada, the Lumia 920 recently received firmware improvements in two batches dubbed by WM Power User as Portico updates. Courtesy of Rogers Canada, 920 owners in the country got the first patch in mid-December.
The software tweak, which was delivered over-the-air (OTA), was intended to address battery concerns raised by 920 owners, Nokia said, adding that the Windows Phone 8 phone is expected to experience significant performance boost once the patch has been downloaded and installed.
Stability of the Nokia handset will also improve on the dispatch, which can be checked by tapping on the 920's Settings then into Phone Update. Simply for the Check Update. If the file is ready for download, trigger for the phone to access the file and follow the instructions carefully for a smooth installation procedure.
Additional benefits of the December patch, according to Nokia, are faster and smoother boot up for the Lumia 920, messaging enhancement, more reliable Bluetooth connection and further improvement on the already potent PureView camera technology.
The January update, on the other hand, was geared mostly for language quality improvements, which in the case of the Lumia 920's Canadian release, led to a welcome step up in the phone's support for French speakers.
In the United States, meanwhile, AT&T saw it fit to extend its promo of free Wireless Charging Plate for U.S. subscribers that would get a subsidised Lumia 920 for a two-year contract.
For only $US100, customers would get the Nokia WP8 phone plus the cool accessory that adds up convenience in owning and using it. The offer was supposed to lapse January 2013 but AT&T sued for more time, wanting to sell as many as handsets as possible.
Those interested should not wait for the expiration date, which Nokia has reset for February 21. Note that the charging pad is worth $50, which is a steal if you are in fact planning to get the Lumia 920.
And the Lumia 920 tribe is increasing at an impressive rate, according to Nokia. The Finnish firm indicated last week that it sold more than four million Lumias during the months of October to December 2012, with assumptions that a big chunk of the sale belongs to the column labelled Lumia 920.
The numbers pale in comparison to results from Apple and Samsung, but decent enough for a company gradually finding its war back to the top, analysts said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc Shifting to 'Lifestyle Brand' Under Tim Cook; Samsung Losing Smartphone Numbers War
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff