Washington D.C. Cop Richmond Phillips Left His Child in a Hot Car to Die
By Jenalyn Villamarin | January 15, 2013 2:19 PM EST
Richmond Phillips, a District of Columbia police officer already entangled in a weapons and paternity lawsuit, added the charges of two counts of first-degree murder to his court cases after the bodies of girlfriend Wynetta Wright and daughter Jaylin were found in a Washington D.C. park. The murder trial began on Monday.
Richmond Phillips was charged of murdering his 20-year-old girlfriend and then leaving the 1-year-old child in a overheated car to die in June 2011. According to WJLA, the temperature inside the car reached over 100 degrees when the police found the child still buckled up in the car seat.
"Richmond Phillips committed the crimes because he was facing a paternity lawsuit and didn't want to pay child support for a baby girl he fathered out of wedlock," prosecutor Angela Alsobrooks said to the jury in her opening statement.
For several years, Richmond Phillips has been a member of the Metropolitan Police Department Narcotics Unit. Pressure on the lawsuit charges apparently provoked the police officer to commit such horrible crimes.
Prosecutors claim Richmond Phillips shot Wynetta Wright then drove the car to a short distance away where he ruthlessly left the child to cook inside the hot car where the doors were locked and the windows closed.
However, defense lawyer Brian Denton argued the evidence is not enough for his client to be convicted. "My client is innocent. He didn't do this thing because the evidence is circumstantial," Denton stated.
In 2012, there were still numerous horrible reports of children being left inside hot cars. "Eight children died of hyperthermia this year during the first week of August alone," ABC News reported.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Kobani ISIS Fighter Sends Out Desperate Message For Prayers And Support: Euphoria Turns Into Desperation As Kurds Advance
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Home Depot Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Up To Nov. 29, 2014 Includes Special Buys On Appliances Such As Samsung Refrigerators, Whirlpool Electric Ranges And Hoover Vacuum Cleaners
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday Sale 2014 Deals From Amazon On Smartphones, TVs, Headsets And More
- Andrew Robb Asks Obama Not to ‘Lecture’ Australia on Climate Change
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James