June quarter rent stagnant due to economic concerns
By Sharon O. | August 11, 2010 3:46 PM EST
Fears about the economy stopped landlords from increasing rents over the last three months even with extraordinary house price hikes, according to a quarterly survey by Australian Property Monitors.
The data released on Wednesday revealed only Sydney and Canberra posted improvements or stable median rents in both houses and units.
Nationwide median rents increased only by under 1 per cent in the three months to June. Rents for houses slumped in most capital cities, including Melbourne, during the quarter.
This mixed outlook for the rental market is the latest sign that the property sector has lost its vigour. Auction clearance rates have been dropping in recent months and home loans in June dived to their deepest level in nine years.
In Melbourne, the weekly median rent fell 1.4 per cent to $365 for houses and climbed 2.9 per cent to $350 for units.
After a stagnant June quarter, rents, however, are expected to pick up once employment and incomes ascend and vacancy rates fall.
APM economist Matthew Bell said while landlords withheld rent increases because of the uncertain environment, that is likely to change as the economic outlook settles.
"We've seen retail spending be very weak over the last three or four months. We've seen the share market been quite weak in the June quarter, and I think that's probably fed through to landlords asking for not quite as much rental increases as the vacancy rates and other factors might imply," he said.
"We've still got a lot of people looking for not quite enough properties out there, and there's not a lot being built on the horizon."
"We still see pretty low building approvals and new houses being built, so you'd have to say in the next six months to a year, I'd expect to see rental growth pick up again."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected