Microsoft Rolls Out Skype in March; Dumps Windows Live Messenger
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | January 14, 2013 6:39 PM EST
Effective March 15, 2013, Microsoft will no longer be using Windows Live Messenger and instead advised users to log in using Skype.
The network however will remain available to users for another 12 months before Microsoft eventually phases it off.
Microsoft had sent an email earlier this week to its Messenger users, announcing the eventual exit from the existing Messenger service and that users would be migrated over to Skype.
"Update to Skype and sign in using a Microsoft Account (same as your Messenger ID) and all your Messenger contacts will be at your fingertips," the email stated.
"You'll be able to instant message and video chat with them just like before, and also discover new ways of staying in touch with Skype on your mobile and tablet."
In November 2012, the Redmond, Washington-based technology giant Microsoft announced its desire to forego the use of Windows Live Messenger as it focuses on "making things simpler for our users while continuously improving the overall experience," Tony Bates, Skype's president, wrote in a blog post.
He said users stand to receive several benefits from Skype, including support for more devices, including iPad and Android tablets, screen sharing, the ability to place calls to landline phones, and group video conferencing.
To aid users for the transition, Microsoft added an upgrade button to its desktop Messenger. When clicked, it uninstalls Messenger and puts Skype in its place.
Created by a team of Estonian software developers, Skype was released in 2003. It went on to gain more than 600 million users before Microsoft bought it for $US8.5 billion ($A8.06 billion) in 2011.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes