Germany's Schaeuble to meet Greek anti-bailout firebrand
January 12, 2013 12:35 AM EST
German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble will meet Greek anti-bailout politician Alexis Tsipras in Berlin on Monday and will try to persuade him to back Athens' austerity measures, a finance ministry spokeswoman said on Friday.
Tsipras, whose leftist SYRIZA party leads opinion polls in Greece, has led opposition to the spending cuts and tax hikes that Germany has demanded in return for billions of euros in aid to stave off the country's bankruptcy.
"The finance minister is of the view that the (Greek) reform process, the success of the reform process, is important and so should be supported by all political forces," spokeswoman Marianne Kothe told a news conference.
"We are using the talks to encourage this," she said, adding that the meeting had been agreed at Tsipras's own request.
Tsipras, who has accused Germany of using the euro zone debt crisis to dominate Europe, met no government ministers when he visited Berlin last year.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Schaeuble have in the past strongly criticised Greece's failure to meet tough fiscal targets but have voiced support for the new government of conservative Prime Minister Antonis Samaras and have praised its political courage in undertaking economic reforms.
Merkel, who says she wants Greece to stay in the euro, reiterated her support for the Samaras government when he visited Berlin on Tuesday.
Tens of thousands of Greeks, including many SYRIZA supporters, staged angry protests last October when Merkel visited Athens for the first time since Greece's sovereign debt crisis erupted in late 2009.
Many Greeks blame Germany, and Merkel and Schaeuble in particular, for their economic suffering.
(Reporting by Gareth Jones; editing by Ron Askew)
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports