Germany's Schaeuble to meet Greek anti-bailout firebrand
January 12, 2013 12:35 AM EST
German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble will meet Greek anti-bailout politician Alexis Tsipras in Berlin on Monday and will try to persuade him to back Athens' austerity measures, a finance ministry spokeswoman said on Friday.
Tsipras, whose leftist SYRIZA party leads opinion polls in Greece, has led opposition to the spending cuts and tax hikes that Germany has demanded in return for billions of euros in aid to stave off the country's bankruptcy.
"The finance minister is of the view that the (Greek) reform process, the success of the reform process, is important and so should be supported by all political forces," spokeswoman Marianne Kothe told a news conference.
"We are using the talks to encourage this," she said, adding that the meeting had been agreed at Tsipras's own request.
Tsipras, who has accused Germany of using the euro zone debt crisis to dominate Europe, met no government ministers when he visited Berlin last year.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Schaeuble have in the past strongly criticised Greece's failure to meet tough fiscal targets but have voiced support for the new government of conservative Prime Minister Antonis Samaras and have praised its political courage in undertaking economic reforms.
Merkel, who says she wants Greece to stay in the euro, reiterated her support for the Samaras government when he visited Berlin on Tuesday.
Tens of thousands of Greeks, including many SYRIZA supporters, staged angry protests last October when Merkel visited Athens for the first time since Greece's sovereign debt crisis erupted in late 2009.
Many Greeks blame Germany, and Merkel and Schaeuble in particular, for their economic suffering.
(Reporting by Gareth Jones; editing by Ron Askew)
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Kate Middleton First Official Solo Trip: Details For Malta Tour Revealed [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Apple on iPhone 6 Release Date One Week After September 9 Despite Display Shortage Starting $800
- James Foley Video Had A Change Of Actor – Expert Points Out
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- European Central Bank Advises Action to Boost Demand and Employment In EU