India's Trade Balance Narrows To $17.7 Billion In December
By Sreeja V N | January 12, 2013 12:02 AM EST
India's trade deficit narrowed to $17.7 billion in December from $19.3 billion in November, even as the exports fell and imports rose, according to the data released by the Ministry of Commerce Friday.
Exports fell for the eighth straight month to $24.88 billion, recording a contraction of 1.9 percent in December, while imports rose by 6.26 percent to $42.5 billion on a year-on-year basis.
The cumulative values of total exports for the period of April-December 2012 stood at $214.1 billion, down 5.5 percent from $226.6 billion registered in the corresponding period a year ago.
The value of imports for the period of April-December 2012, totaled to $361.3 billion, against US $363.8 billion in the year ago period, registering a decline of 0.71 percent.
The cumulative trade deficit for the April-December period widened to $147.2 billion, compared to the $137.3 billion deficit recorded in the same period last year.
Oil imports in December stood at $14.42 billion, up 23.56 percent compared to $11.6 billion in the corresponding period last year. Non-oil imports in August declined 0.87 percent to $28.12 billion, compared to $28.36 billion in the same period last year.
Oil imports for the April-December period stood at $124.5 billion and non-oil imports for the same period last year was at $236.8 billion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Economic Growth In US And Sub-Saharan Africa Allay 2015 Recession Fears
- Travel Alert: Over 200 Canadians Infected with Mosquito-Borne Chikungunya Virus
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- US Dedicates 5 Airports for Travellers From Ebola-Stricken Nations, Lawmakers Want Travel Ban
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports