India's Trade Balance Narrows To $17.7 Billion In December
By Sreeja V N | January 12, 2013 12:02 AM EST
India's trade deficit narrowed to $17.7 billion in December from $19.3 billion in November, even as the exports fell and imports rose, according to the data released by the Ministry of Commerce Friday.
Exports fell for the eighth straight month to $24.88 billion, recording a contraction of 1.9 percent in December, while imports rose by 6.26 percent to $42.5 billion on a year-on-year basis.
The cumulative values of total exports for the period of April-December 2012 stood at $214.1 billion, down 5.5 percent from $226.6 billion registered in the corresponding period a year ago.
The value of imports for the period of April-December 2012, totaled to $361.3 billion, against US $363.8 billion in the year ago period, registering a decline of 0.71 percent.
The cumulative trade deficit for the April-December period widened to $147.2 billion, compared to the $137.3 billion deficit recorded in the same period last year.
Oil imports in December stood at $14.42 billion, up 23.56 percent compared to $11.6 billion in the corresponding period last year. Non-oil imports in August declined 0.87 percent to $28.12 billion, compared to $28.36 billion in the same period last year.
Oil imports for the April-December period stood at $124.5 billion and non-oil imports for the same period last year was at $236.8 billion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build