India's Trade Balance Narrows To $17.7 Billion In December
By Sreeja V N | January 12, 2013 12:02 AM EST
India's trade deficit narrowed to $17.7 billion in December from $19.3 billion in November, even as the exports fell and imports rose, according to the data released by the Ministry of Commerce Friday.
Exports fell for the eighth straight month to $24.88 billion, recording a contraction of 1.9 percent in December, while imports rose by 6.26 percent to $42.5 billion on a year-on-year basis.
The cumulative values of total exports for the period of April-December 2012 stood at $214.1 billion, down 5.5 percent from $226.6 billion registered in the corresponding period a year ago.
The value of imports for the period of April-December 2012, totaled to $361.3 billion, against US $363.8 billion in the year ago period, registering a decline of 0.71 percent.
The cumulative trade deficit for the April-December period widened to $147.2 billion, compared to the $137.3 billion deficit recorded in the same period last year.
Oil imports in December stood at $14.42 billion, up 23.56 percent compared to $11.6 billion in the corresponding period last year. Non-oil imports in August declined 0.87 percent to $28.12 billion, compared to $28.36 billion in the same period last year.
Oil imports for the April-December period stood at $124.5 billion and non-oil imports for the same period last year was at $236.8 billion.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown