Spanish Industrial Output Contracts 7.2% in November
By Geetha Pillai | January 11, 2013 9:36 PM EST
Spain's industrial output has declined in November as the Europe's fourth largest economy struggled to come out of recession.
Output at factories, refineries and mines, on an adjusted basis, fell 7.2 percent in November from a year earlier and against a revised 3.1 percent decline in October, showed data from the National Statistics Institute in Madrid.
Economists have expected a four percent decline, according to an estimate by the Bloomberg Survey.
In unadjusted terms, industrial production fell 7.3 percent in November from a year earlier followed by a revised 0.9 percent rise in October.
The official data also showed that the Spanish economy contracted 0.3 percent sequentially in the third quarter which followed a 0.4 percent decline in the second quarter. Production of consumer goods fell 6.4 percent while that of capital goods fell 12.8 percent annually. Production of intermediate and energy products fell 7.3 percent and 1.3 percent respectively.
High unemployment and banking crisis continue to pull down the Spanish economy into recession. Spain recorded the highest youth unemployment rate among the eurozone countries which touched 56.5 percent in November.
"The lack of work, which means millions of families cannot live with dignity and that young people have to leave Spain to find whatever they can working abroad, that hurts us a lot, and it hurts me especially," observed King Juan Carlos I of Spain during his televised interview to mark his 75th birthday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola ‘Cruise Ship’: Holidaymakers Furious Organisers Hid the Truth About Dallas Health Care Worker
- Canada Conducts Practice Drill Of Ebola Rapid Response Teams, To Send Experimental VSV-BOV Vaccine To WHO
- Vatican 2014 Final Synod Report: Gays Still ‘Unwelcome’ in Catholic Church, LGBT Thankful for First Step
- 5 Cities With The Highest Cost Of Living In 2014
- New Zealand Losing $9.4 Billion Every Year to Fraud
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks