Spanish Industrial Output Contracts 7.2% in November
By Geetha Pillai | January 11, 2013 9:36 PM EST
Spain's industrial output has declined in November as the Europe's fourth largest economy struggled to come out of recession.
Output at factories, refineries and mines, on an adjusted basis, fell 7.2 percent in November from a year earlier and against a revised 3.1 percent decline in October, showed data from the National Statistics Institute in Madrid.
Economists have expected a four percent decline, according to an estimate by the Bloomberg Survey.
In unadjusted terms, industrial production fell 7.3 percent in November from a year earlier followed by a revised 0.9 percent rise in October.
The official data also showed that the Spanish economy contracted 0.3 percent sequentially in the third quarter which followed a 0.4 percent decline in the second quarter. Production of consumer goods fell 6.4 percent while that of capital goods fell 12.8 percent annually. Production of intermediate and energy products fell 7.3 percent and 1.3 percent respectively.
High unemployment and banking crisis continue to pull down the Spanish economy into recession. Spain recorded the highest youth unemployment rate among the eurozone countries which touched 56.5 percent in November.
"The lack of work, which means millions of families cannot live with dignity and that young people have to leave Spain to find whatever they can working abroad, that hurts us a lot, and it hurts me especially," observed King Juan Carlos I of Spain during his televised interview to mark his 75th birthday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Investigation into Cause of Crash Could Stretch to a Year; Black Box May Not Prove Missile as Cause
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More