Renault Duster Bags 'Car of the Year 2013' Award
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 11, 2013 9:20 PM EST
French automaker Renault's SUV Duster has been crowned 'Car of the year 2013' by automobile magazine Autocar India.
The compact SUV, which hit the Indian roads earlier in the summer of 2012, fetched the award following tough competition from major SUV players. In 2012, Mahindra's XUV5OO had bagged the title. The award was presented at the annual awards night in Mumbai on Wednesday.
The Duster, which changed the concept of the SUV in India, was also named SUV of the year 2013, viewer's choice car of the year 2013 and overall Autocar car of the year 2013. Apart from Duster, Mahindra and Mahindra was named manufacturer of the year, while Bajaj KTM 200 Duke, which set new trends among Indian youngsters, became the viewers' choice Bike of the Year and the Autocar Bike of the Year 2013.
The Duster was given several awards even before it hit the roads. Among the awards were 4x4 of the Year in France and Argentina, Autobest 2011 in Germany, 2011 Car of the Year in Croatia and Russia and Golden Steering Wheel in Romania. The car was launched with a price tag of ₹7.19 lakh for the petrol varionat. Earlier in October, Renault increased the price of the vehicle by up to ₹40,000. The car did not have a direct rival in the Indian market since the time of its launch. The soon-to-release Ford EcoSport is expected to become a strong contender to the Duster.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- New Zealand's Largest Snack Food Company Bought for NZ$700 Million
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People