LG Optimus G Gets New Update, Enhancement Mod
By Erik Pineda | January 11, 2013 3:36 PM EST
LG Optimus G on Sprint is set to receive a minor update patch via OTA, which the U.S. telco said has started rolling out, to improve certain features of the phone and solve previously reported bugs.
That's good news matched with a bad news. Sprint has yet to dispatch JellyBean for the LG smartphone following its earlier pledge for a December release. It appears that the promise will not be fulfilled this January.
What LG Optimus G owners are firmware tweaks that will enhance the phone's Visual Voicemail feature and stretch its battery life. This update will also fix the freezing and reset problems experience d by Optimus G users, connected apparently to YouTube use.
It is also expected that Wi-Fi problems will be dealt with by the patch, which will bump up the LG phone to build LS970ZV9.
The update process is now on live status and Optimus G owners should automatically get the prompt to trigger the action anytime soon. But those who can hardly wait have the option to get the update file manually. Simply tap the Settings, scroll down to About Phone and then check for software upgrade.
If the download is there for delivery, authorise the action and make sure to follow the instruction for the procedure to wrap up without glitch. It's best to do upgrade on a fully-charged handset to avoid interruption.
However, if this official fix remains a letdown, rooting the Optimus G is an attractive alternative, the full details of which were put together by XDA Developers. Head to this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1994692, but keep in mind to proceed with caution.
Once done with the rooting, you may want to consider a Mod highly recommended by Redmond Pie. It promises to amp the audio and video recording quality of a rooted Optimus G, which is obviously geared for power users with leanings to audio/visual production.
The following are listed by the tech blog site as the after-modification benefits:
- Increased bitrate of 20Mbps for video recording at 1080p
- Audio recording bitrate for both 720p and 1080p resolutions increased to 320kbps
- Two audio channels being used for 1080p video recording
- Image decoding memory cap doubled to 40MB
- Increase all image encoding quality values to 100
Note that these can be reconfigured to suit the specific taste of Optimus G owners.
To put the Mod into work, download first the file media_profiles.xml through this link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2065799.
Save the file to your Optimus G and using a root level browser, Redmond Pie recommends Root Explorer or ES File Explorer, navigate through this file directory: /system/etc folder.
There you will find a file also named media_profiles.xml, replace it with the new file and reboot your Optimus G. You just implemented the new settings governing your future audio recordings and video captures via a rooted LG handset.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier to Give $5,000 Assistance to Victims’ Families; Bankruptcy Looms as 2 Air Mishaps Would Cost Firm Minimum $80.55 M Compensation
- Foxconn And Pegatron Corp Readies For Apple's iPhone 6 Mass Production This Month
- KFC & McDonald’s Accused of Serving ‘Expired’ Meat to Customers
- Malaysian Airlines Ukraine Tragedy Hits Asian Stock Markets
- New Zealand's Largest Snack Food Company Bought for NZ$700 Million
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People