8 Best Diets of 2013; 3 Worst Diets of 2012
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 11, 2013 1:52 PM EST
Like other New Years, Jan 1, 2013 started with many people including going on a diet in their New Year's Resolutions. Some will fail in their diets while others may succeed in the next 12 months.
Besides the temptation to indulge in sinful and mouth-watering gustatory delights and the spirit being willing, but the flesh being weak, one reason why people give up on their diet resolutions is that they chose bad diets.
To help people start 2013 right, health and food experts have come up with a list of bad diets in 2012 to avoid this year and 8 good alternatives.
3 Worst Diets
A survey by the Dietitians Association of Australia (DAA) showed that 230 members pinpointed these three as the worst diets from a list of nine popular diets in 2012.
1. Lemon Detox Diet
It is a 10-day holistic naturopathic journey to better health, claimed the author of the book, Dr KA Beyer. It consists of taking nothing for 10 days, except laxative tea, salt water which flushes and a mixture of lemon, water, maple or natural tree syrup and cayenne pepper.
Melanie McGrice of the DAA pointed out that one weakness of this diet is that 24 hours without protein and calcium can damage muscle tissue and bones.
2. Acid and Alkaline Diet
It is based on the principle that too much acid in the body breeds disease, hence the diets recommends alkaline food such as green, leafy vegetables, bananas and oatmeals, while eschewing some fruits and veggies, dairy, most meats, caffeine and alcohol.
Ms McGrice said these types of diet just add confusion about food since some food on the chopping block are really healthy. This diet sends the wrong message.
3. Six Weeks to OMG Diet
Among the components of this diet, according to author Venice Fulton, are black coffee for breakfast, cold showers and avoiding fruit because of its fructose content. He also claimed broccoli carbs could be worse than soda carbs because the human body does not treat carbohydrates differently.
Dietitian Tara Di Versi emphasised that it takes about 3 kilogrammes of broccoli to get the same carbs as a can of soda.
8 Best Diets of 2013
This list is based on analysis of statistics of 29 diets made by an independent panel of 20 experts in the U.S. Among the basis of their assessment are the diet's ease of compliance, diabetes control and management, heart health, weight loss, safety and nutritional completeness.
1. Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) - Best Overall Diet
It was developed by the U.S. government to encourage lower intake of sodium and higher intake of nutrients to lower blood pressure. On the second place is the TLC Diet and tied for third place are the Mediterranean Diet, Mayo Clinic Diet and Weight Watchers.
2. Mediterranean Diet - Best Plant-based Diet
It emphasises healthy fats, fruits and vegetables.
3. Weight Watchers Diet - Best Weight-Loss Diet
4. Omish Diet - Best Heart-Healthy Diet
5. DASH Diet - Best Diabetes Diet
6. Weight Watchers - Best Commercial Diet Plan
7. DASH Diet - Best Diet for Healthy Eating
8. Weight Watchers - Easiest Diet to Follow
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Brad Pitt Still in Love with Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston, Staying with Angelina Jolie for Sake of Kids, Claims Brad's Psychic
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
- Transfer News: Manchester United's Possible Transfer Options For This Season
Join the Conversation
- 'Alien' Ecosystem Found Under Antarctic Ice: Hope For Life in Other Icy Planets (Watch Video)
- Jennifer Aniston Prefers Natural Ageing; Slams Cosmetic Surgery
- Breakthrough in Science: Genetic Recipe of Lizard Tail Generation Will Help Humans Get New Limbs
- The Chance To See a 125-Million Years Old Dinosaur Footprints
- Mega Spiders Will Soon Be Reality
- James Foley Beheading Video Has Play-Acting Portions – Video Experts Say
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Upcoming Sony Xperia Z3 With Dual-SIM Support Gets Approved In China; Full Specifications Revealed; Amber-Coloured Xperia Z3 Tipped
- More Nexus 8/Nexus 9 Release Confirmed with More Leaks and Out of Stock Nexus 7 and 10
- James Foley: Release of Beheading Video by ISIS Meant to Attract More Recruits to Join the Cause – Intelligence
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- James Foley: ISIS Demanded Multimillion Ransom, US Refused To Pay---Reports