Udinese Defends Danilo Larangeira over 'Monkey' Slur Sentence
By Dominic Gover | January 11, 2013 6:02 AM EST
A top footballer at Serie A club Udinese has been convicted of calling a rival a "macaco", meaning monkey.
Danilo Larangeira, 28, insulted Atletico Paranense opponent Manoel Carvalho in his native Portuguese during a 2010 game in Brazil before his transfer to Italy.
Danilo was sentenced to one year in prison by the criminal court in Sao Paulo for the offence but Udinese chiefs, who also control English Championship club Watford, condemned the ruling.
Defender Danilo is expected to appeal. Even if successful and he is spared the jail term, he could still face a hefty fine.
Udinese owner Gino Pozzo condemned the sentence as "ridiculous and absurd" and claimed the judges did not understand football.
"The sentence decided by the court is absurd and it seems that none of the experts, worldwide, has pointed out that such a decision is beyond any common logic," said Pozzo.
"It seems to me that no one has ever played football or does not know the reality of how things are during a game and immediately after."
"[Danilo] is a serious guy, a model professional and during these years he never had any attitude uncivilized and disrespectful."
A number of Serie A players play on loan at Watford. Under Italian boss Gianfranco Zola, the team is pressing for promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs.
Pozzo called on Fifa to look into the case.
"There always will will be moments of nervousness due to adrenalin of the players and the competitive tension, but at the final whistle everything falls within the fold of normal," he said.
"I believe that this judgment should interested Fifa."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS