Udinese Defends Danilo Larangeira over 'Monkey' Slur Sentence
By Dominic Gover | January 11, 2013 6:02 AM EST
A top footballer at Serie A club Udinese has been convicted of calling a rival a "macaco", meaning monkey.
Danilo Larangeira, 28, insulted Atletico Paranense opponent Manoel Carvalho in his native Portuguese during a 2010 game in Brazil before his transfer to Italy.
Danilo was sentenced to one year in prison by the criminal court in Sao Paulo for the offence but Udinese chiefs, who also control English Championship club Watford, condemned the ruling.
Defender Danilo is expected to appeal. Even if successful and he is spared the jail term, he could still face a hefty fine.
Udinese owner Gino Pozzo condemned the sentence as "ridiculous and absurd" and claimed the judges did not understand football.
"The sentence decided by the court is absurd and it seems that none of the experts, worldwide, has pointed out that such a decision is beyond any common logic," said Pozzo.
"It seems to me that no one has ever played football or does not know the reality of how things are during a game and immediately after."
"[Danilo] is a serious guy, a model professional and during these years he never had any attitude uncivilized and disrespectful."
A number of Serie A players play on loan at Watford. Under Italian boss Gianfranco Zola, the team is pressing for promotion to the Premier League via the play-offs.
Pozzo called on Fifa to look into the case.
"There always will will be moments of nervousness due to adrenalin of the players and the competitive tension, but at the final whistle everything falls within the fold of normal," he said.
"I believe that this judgment should interested Fifa."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Israel Loses A Friend in UN Security Council As New Zealand Replaces Australia
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’