Newcastle Table Bid for Valenciennes Defender, Say French Club
By Adrian Back | January 11, 2013 5:56 AM EST
Valenciennes president Jean-Raymond Legrand has revealed that Newcastle United have made an offer for centre-back Gaetan Bong.
Alan Pardew has already signed Mathieu Debuchy from Ligue 1 side Lille and it seems the Newcastle manager is once again looking towards the French market in order to further bolster his defensive options.
Newcastle have been in dreadful form and find themselves hovering just above the relegation zone after failing to win a single away game this season.
Debuchy has been brought to the club to play at right-back, seemingly ahead of Danny Simpson, but it seems Pardew feels he also has concerns in the centre of defence where Steven Taylor and Fabricio Coloccini have both struggled with injuries.
Bong would certainly be in line with Newcastle's transfer policy as the Cameroon international is just 24-years-old and hands the club the option of selling on at a higher value should be impress in the Premier League.
Newcastle have been linked with a number of defenders in recent months but the Valenciennes seems certain that the club want Bong.
"Newcastle are very interested, they have made an offer. We will wait and see. But I will not sell players unless I can replace them," said Legrand as quoted in the Independent.
Pardew has often looked to Ligue 1 in recent seasons with the likes of Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux, Romain Amalfitano and Hatem Ben Arfa all arriving from French football.
The Toon boss has admitted that he is looking to bring another centre-back to the club as he looks to turn around Newcastle's season.
He said: "It's a position that we really need to strengthen as we have let in some loose goals this year because we have not had the competition, and the likes of Davide Santon have needed a rest at times. That sort of pressure has told on us."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Fernando Alonso Leaves Ferrari 'For Two Reasons'
- Roger Federer Says He Has Never Seen Rafael Nadal Play So Bad, Wishes That The Spaniard Recuperate Well From Appendicitis
- Manny Pacquiao Has Got Chris Algieri Fight All Figured Out
- Female Boxer Dies In South Africa Following Knockout Blow
- Nick Kyrgios Holds Twitter Q&A, Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time And His Favourite Superhero
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight