Newcastle Table Bid for Valenciennes Defender, Say French Club
By Adrian Back | January 11, 2013 5:56 AM EST
Valenciennes president Jean-Raymond Legrand has revealed that Newcastle United have made an offer for centre-back Gaetan Bong.
Alan Pardew has already signed Mathieu Debuchy from Ligue 1 side Lille and it seems the Newcastle manager is once again looking towards the French market in order to further bolster his defensive options.
Newcastle have been in dreadful form and find themselves hovering just above the relegation zone after failing to win a single away game this season.
Debuchy has been brought to the club to play at right-back, seemingly ahead of Danny Simpson, but it seems Pardew feels he also has concerns in the centre of defence where Steven Taylor and Fabricio Coloccini have both struggled with injuries.
Bong would certainly be in line with Newcastle's transfer policy as the Cameroon international is just 24-years-old and hands the club the option of selling on at a higher value should be impress in the Premier League.
Newcastle have been linked with a number of defenders in recent months but the Valenciennes seems certain that the club want Bong.
"Newcastle are very interested, they have made an offer. We will wait and see. But I will not sell players unless I can replace them," said Legrand as quoted in the Independent.
Pardew has often looked to Ligue 1 in recent seasons with the likes of Yohan Cabaye, Sylvain Marveaux, Romain Amalfitano and Hatem Ben Arfa all arriving from French football.
The Toon boss has admitted that he is looking to bring another centre-back to the club as he looks to turn around Newcastle's season.
He said: "It's a position that we really need to strengthen as we have let in some loose goals this year because we have not had the competition, and the likes of Davide Santon have needed a rest at times. That sort of pressure has told on us."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More