MLB To Test For HGH In Addition To Steroids, Strengthens Drug Policy For 2013
January 11, 2013 5:41 AM EST
Major League Baseball was once heavily criticized for having an extremely weak drug-testing program. Now, the league is instituting a policy that will be the toughest in professional sports.
The MLB and players union have agreed to test for human growth hormone during the season, according to the New York Times. The new deal will require players to undergo unannounced blood tests, as well as a new test that will test for those that are using testosterone.
The news of the expanded performance-enhancing drug policy comes less than 24 hours after the Baseball Writers’ Association of America announced that no former players would be inducted into the 2013 Baseball Hall of Fame class. Former stars like Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens and Sammy Sosa were not elected because of their alleged steroid use.
In November 2011, the MLB and the union agreed to test for HGH, but only in spring training and the offseason. Players had previously expressed concern over how giving blood during the season might affect their on-field performance.
The changes give the MLB, by far, the toughest drug program in American professional sports. The NFL, NHL and NBA don’t currently test for HGH.
Even with the strict policy, the MLB has still suspended some notable players recently. Both Melky Cabrera and Bartolo Colon were suspended for 50 games in 2012 because of failed tests. Ryan Braun was suspended before the start of the season, but his suspension was eventually overturned.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Athletics, Swimming Schedule & Results
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga
- Malaysia Airlines Considers Changing Name After MH370 and MH17 Tragedies